ten; queen of disaster

Queen of disaster was a song she had completed in her sophomore year. Like most of her other songs, it wasn't really real. Everyone always said to 'write what you know,' but Vee strayed away from that. Writing what she knew wasn't something she really wanted. Alcoholic mothers didn't make for a good song when she didn't know how to materialise it.

It had a tune that reminded her of Tinkerbell, sparkly and pretty. She tried not to talk about her songs much — their qualities fluctuated — but this particular one was something she was quite proud of. If she had a choice, this was the song she would show the world.

That was entirely because of Cherry. Cherry was the first song she ever finished. At the time, she was disgusted by it. But she realised that it was all because of her internalised prejudices, her self-loathing. It goes without saying that Cherry was one of her 'write what you know' experiments gone right. It was a sickeningly personal song.

It was also her best.

But no one would ever hear it. Because the content had lines that would expose her before she was ready — it would absolutely ruin her life. So, there it lay, tucked away, waiting for the day where Vee would finally be able to show it, unafraid of the bullying to come.

She was scribbling down a new song, one that was definitely based on real life. She wanted to try something new, so she decided upon angsty rock. Definitely something new.

Jupiter sat on her lap, watched her as she wrote the song with a Barbie movie as background noise. She hadn't settled on a title yet, but she wanted something like envy or jealousy. Because that was exactly how she was feeling at that moment.

Her phone rang, a Taylor Swift song sounding out. She glanced at the contact name, picking it up, feeling confused once realising who it was.

"Hello?" she said with it coming out more like a question.

"Hey, Vee," Finn said nervously. "I know it's super late, but, um."

Finn didn't say anything for the next few moments, leaving Vee even more perplexed than she was already.

"But um what?" she asked.

"Puck isn't who you think he is," he said quickly.

That caught her attention. She raised her eyebrows lightly, stifling a small laugh. Her life felt more like a telenovela than it already did. She let Jupiter run off as she sat on her bed.

"If this is about me being in love with him or something, I'm not. I'm actually kind of sick of all the accusations, I'm not into him — "

"Yeah, I know. You're into Sam," he finished her sentence, making her jaw drop. She knew that Tina probably told everyone. "But he made out with Rachel. She said it was to, uh, get revenge on me or something, but I just thought you should know."

Vee nodded. She didn't exactly know why he wanted her to know this, but nevertheless, it was said and done. She knew Puck had screwed Finn over before, but twice? It was idiotic and disgusting. But then again, she was talking about Puck.

"Um, cool? I'm sorry to hear about you and Rachel, Finn. It must really suck," she said, cringing. She was never good at comfort. "I ... got to go. See you in glee club."

"Yeah, see you," Finn said before Vee hung up.

"Weird," she mumbled to herself, tossing her phone back on her bed as she continued writing lines of her new song.

She realised that she'd made a mistake when that same Taylor Swift song played again, and she sighed, picking up her phone once more.

"Oh. My. God," Kurt squealed. "It's Christmas week."