thirty two; human nature

Most of the New Directions crowded a table in The Lima Bean as they discussed this week's lesson — Michael Jackson. Michael was definitely one of Vee's favourites, and from what she could remember, he was one of her dad's favourites, too. Mr Schue had apparently loved him, seeing as they were doing Michael for Regionals.

As they were discussing their favourite songs by him, Mercedes stood up and announced that she needed a refill of her coffee. Spotting her chance, Vee followed her, stating the same thing, just with green tea.

"You need a refill, too?" Mercedes asked once they were in line.

"Honestly, no," Vee looked down at her half-empty cup. "I wanted to talk to you, actually."

Mercedes stared at her in shock as Vee tried to find the words to describe how she felt. They took a step forward as the line was shortening, her green tea still placed uncomfortably in her hands.

"I miss you," she said simply. "I hate not talking to you. I thought it would make things easier but it really just made things worse. Plus, I'm giving Sam a second chance and I feel really bad that I'm not giving you one."

"I miss you, too," Mercedes responded. "And I'm really sorry about everything."

"No, don't apologise. I ... I think I'm moving forward," Vee nodded curtly, but Mercedes remained unconvinced. For good reason, Vee had (very obvious) lingering feelings for Sam.

Mercedes finally got her refill, Vee standing awkwardly next to her, and the two of them walked back towards the group to find all of them glaring heavily at Rachel. She wasn't exactly shocked, Rachel could be a little much at times. Vee still loved her, though. She couldn't bring herself to hate anyone in glee club. Not even when they broke her trust.

"Okay, but just, since you guys are so jazzed about him, I think it's a good idea," Rachel said in defeat as Mercedes and Vee walked back towards them. Looking at Santana's expression, she could deduce that Rachel wasn't the biggest Michael fan.

"Well, that might not be the best idea. Hey, Blaine. Hello, everyone else," a boy in a Dalton blazer walked up to them. He had slicked back hair and a coffee cup in his hands, and his skin was clearer than her own. Vee looked him up and down, thinking to herself that he looked like a douche and that she needed his skincare routine. He seemed like the type of pretentious trust fund baby to have one.

"Does he live here or something? Seriously, you are always here," Kurt scowled at him.

"Who is this?" Vee whispered to Kurt, retaining eye contact with the boy.

"Sebastian," he replied with a glare directed towards him.

She let out a small gasp. "The snake who tried to steal Blaine?" she asked. Kurt nodded in response.

"Why don't you think that's a good idea?" Artie asked.

"Because we're doing MJ for Regionals," Sebastian responded with a smug look on his face. The New Directions looked around in confusion and distress, wondering how Sebastian of all people knew their setlist. "You see, Warblers drew first position, so as soon as I heard what your plan was, I changed our set list accordingly."

"And how exactly did you hear?" Vee asked with her arms crossed.

"Blaine told me this morning," he responded, a wide smile covering his face. All heads turned to Blaine, watching his guilty expression. "I just called for a tip on how to get red wine out of my blazer piping, and he would not stop going on about it."

"I may have mentioned it," Blaine said shamefully.

"How often do you talk?" Kurt questioned, obviously annoyed that he was fraternising with the enemy. Or rather, the conventionally attractive rich boy who had an obvious infatuation for him and actively pursued him.