fifty two; home

For some reason, Vee always returned to Lima.

Whether it was because the glee club was ending or for a funeral, she'd always found herself back at the place she called home. In this case, the situation wasn't looking too well.

For starters, her mother had given her the horrible news that Jupiter was sick and could potentially lose her life. Vee knew her cat wasn't the youngest or the most active, but she didn't think that she would die. The thought of her first pet leaving her was terrifying to Vee.

But that wasn't the only reason she came back.

That company her college had recommended her to? The one she'd applied to get financial backing from? She hadn't heard from them in months. She saw two possibilities — they had found a better, more innovative person to choose, or they had ghosted her because they absolutely hated what she sent over.

So she packed her bags, quit her job, and came back to Lima with Sam. She didn't want him to go back, but he insisted, stating that he didn't have anything better to do. It was quite sad — everyone was lost, defeated, or both.

Standing before her childhood home, she stood shakily and rang the doorbell, waiting for her mother to open it. Jupiter was the only thought running through her mind as she couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness.

Jupiter didn't deserve to die. She was there for her whenever no one else was. Constantly kept in her room, Jupiter was pampered and spoilt and gentle. But she was a fighter, which was the only thing that comforted Vee.

"Vee," Vanessa open the door, instantly engulfing her daughter in an embrace. "Look at you, your hair," she took it in her hands.

Once again, Vee had changed her hair again. Desperate for some sort of control, Vee had decided to grow her hair out and dye it red, making her look unrecognisable to the untrained eye.

"Yeah, I know," she let out a breathy laugh. "How, um, how's Jupiter?" Vee asked hesitantly.

Vanessa's weak smile dropped immediately, replaced with a melancholic look and a shake of the head. The silence spoke louder than words ever could. Jupiter was on the brink of death and Vee didn't know why.

Before she had the chance to ask, Vanessa led her to Vee's old room. She entered the house, looking around at how normal everything was. Nothing out of place, no changes, everything was exactly the same.

Entering her room, she found it to be exactly the same as before. Same white walls, same dent in said walls, same bunk bed, same scattered jewellery, same cat sleeping in the corner. Except Jupiter looked skinnier and more tired.

Vee rushed over to the window, petting her as she purred. She felt feverish — overly hot. She frowned, biting her bottom lip in concern. When looking to Vanessa, she only mouthed a word to her: "Toxoplasmosis."

"What about treatment?" Vee questioned, still petting Jupiter.

"The doctors said they can't guarantee anything," Vanessa sighed. "Come on, why don't you sit down and have a drink? Take a break from everything."

Vee begrudgingly obliged. She followed her mother into the dining room, where Vanessa poured her a cup of coffee. The two sat in each other's comfort, missing the comfortable silence of home.

"How long are you staying in Ohio?" Vanessa asked, eyes full of concern.

"I don't know, honestly," Vee responded solemnly. "Enough about me, what's been happening with you?"

"Still working, but when you make it big, I will definitely stop," she chuckled. Vee laughed too, but the comment stung — she knew she had no hope for the future. "Your friend came over to visit a ton. Brittany, I think her name was."