Chapter 5: I found my mate, and I screwed up 3 seconds after meeting her.

Start from the beginning

  Then again, my eyes still stung and it felt so much damn worst than that.

  Finally, after what seemed like hours of aimless running, I found myself bursting into the woods which I figured were built for wolf training.

  Bitterly, another sense of anger washed over me when I cursed myself for having my wolf. If I were one, I could’ve shifted and just took out my anger by running, like how I always saw Drake and the others do.

  I broke into a halt as I slumped dejectedly against a tree trunk, my back ignoring the pricks of needles as its rough surface poked against the thin fabric that covered my skin.

  At first I was completely expressionless as I stared blankly at the evening sky.

  Then it all hit me like a ton of breaks:

  I don’t have my wolf.

  I will never, ever shift. 

  I found my mate.

  He was the future Alpha of Sombre Stones.

  He was making out with another girl.

  One word that I despised so much popped up in my already messed up mind:

  Rejection.

  And then the burning sensation in my turned moist and cold and I finally broke down into silent tears.

  I was so angry.

  Furious with myself, really.

  Not because my mate was snogging some slut in front of my very face.

  But because I was so weak.

  Why did it freaking hurt so much? I sobbed to myself as my hands blindly went into my sling bag and I pulled out my cell and earphones.

  Music was the only thing that could soothe me when I was depressed.

  As the song played out, my mouth parted open before I did the only thing I was actually good at.

  I sung to my heart’s content. Expressing its pain. Remorse. Disbelief and hurt.

  “I’m still alive, but I’m barely breathing.

  Just praying to a god that I don’t believe in.

  But I’ve got time while he’s got freedom.

  Cause when a heart breaks,

  No it doesn’t break even.”

-Drake’s POV-

  “So what’s it like being one of the big shot Alpha’s son?”

  I grinned up at Neil, who handed me a can of cold shandy. I didn’t like the taste of alcohol. I had gotten drunk once last year when I went to a club, and it was not a pretty sight. He was a pretty cool fella; I’d say we had similar personalities. Not we were just loitering around in the living room, waiting for some other new freshmen to appear so we could greet them.

  Or scare them away with our epic weirdness.

  Either way, it would be the definition of hilarious.

  “It’s honestly pretty normal,” I replied as I pricked my fingers between the can and plucked it open, “Despite the exaggerated respect and the extra alpha training, the rest of the pack treat me pretty normally.” I smiled against the cool can as I took a large, refreshing sip.