13

Jake and I walk along the beach letting the wind hit us. "So how was meeting everyone?"

"They were really nice. It's just...is Jungwon okay?"

"Yeah he's just sad."

Jake takes both of my hands and makes me face him. "What are you doing?" I said nervously.

"Sooyeon. I know this is really soon and you don't need to say yes but I really do like you and I just wanted to say, will you go out with me?"

I thought for a moment. He makes me happy and he really is a great person but I just can't see myself with him.

"Jake I...I'm sorry but I can't see us dating. You really are a great person and you deserve so much better. I'm sorry."

He smiles at me, "It's okay Sooyeon. I can tell you were going to say no. But best friends?" I give him a big smile, "Bestfriends."

"Could I ask why though?"

I hesitate for a moment, "I have feelings for someone else."

Jake puts his hand over his mouth, "Omg shut up who?"

"Jungwon?"

Jake slaps his hand over his mouth the second time, "How? When?"

"Freshman year ever since I bumped into him by accident."

"So that means when you saw Jungwon with Chaehoon..."

"Yeah it hurt a lot but then you introduced yourself to me and honestly you helped me. A lot. I don't even know how to thank you-"

"You don't need to thank me." he says, cutting me off. "I feel obligated to, so thank YOU Jake."

He smiles at me before pulling me into a hug, "I could say the same thing to you. Thank you for being there for me also. Let's get back to the group, yeah?" I pull away from the hug and nod.

Once we got back to the house everyone was already sitting outside the porch.

"You two come eat." I sit right in the middle of Sunoo and Jungwon.

"Sooyeon you want me to wrap you something?" Sunoo says with a leaf on his hand.

"Oh yes please!"

Sunoo puts together a wrap for me. "Sooyeon open."

I open my mouth and he stuffs the wrap in my mouth but it only fits halfway. "Mrmphphhmm."
Sunoo starts to laugh uncontrollably and lets go of the wrap which causes it to fall. I sat there with only the leaf in my mouth and all the stuff in the wrap fell on the table. Sunoo laughs even harder and everyone joins in. I glance over to Jungwon and see him looking down at his food trying to hold in a laugh.

"Yah Sunoo you have to make me another wrap now!"

"Yes ma'am. Do you want me to feed you?"

"Hell no just give it to me." Sunoo hands me the wrap and I put it in my mouth.

"Mmmmm yummy."

I look over to Jungwon who's been pretty quiet the whole time.

"You okay Jungwon?"

"Yeah, just a bit tired."

"What happened?"

Jungwon sighs and hesitates for a moment before he speaks, "I'm sure the group told you but I recently broke up with someone. She was well, I loved her. At least I think so. Everyone says she was toxic and that she doesn't deserve me but I felt something. Or at least I thought. I don't know."

I look over at the food. "You love her?"

Jungwon sighs again, "I don't know."

I pat him on the back, "Think about it. What things did she do for you? Did you imagine a future with her? Did you just like the idea of being with someone? Those are the things you need to ask yourself. Don't think that the break up is because of you cause sometimes it's not."

Jungwon looks at me and gives me a reassuring smile, "Thanks Sooyeon. So are you and Jake dating?"

I shake my head, "No we decided to just become really good best friends."

"So how did you figure out if you really like them or if you just like the thought of being with someone?"
I look into his eyes. It was still as big and clear as the day I bumped into him. "Well at first when Jake told me to go out with him I was about to say yes but I thought about it. Jake is a great person but I couldn't see us as a couple. He just seemed like a friend I could go to."

Jungwon continues to nod.

"Having doubts with Chaehoon?"

"Yeah."

"I can't say much about your relationship but if you don't think you can see a future with her then think about it a little."

Jungwon nods his head some more, "Thanks Sooyeon. I feel a lot better." "Alright well I hope the best for you alright? I'm happy to help whenever."

We both go back eating and chatting with the group.