Chapter 12

To announce her grandson's return, Jane held a family gathering at her home. Sophie, being the closest in line to inherit the company (after Lucas), knew everything about everyone in their family. The aunts, uncles, cousins, distant relatives; she has a notebook filled with information on each and every one if them.

Sophie taught Lucas about the family, lending her notebook. Lucas memorised from the front page to back in record speed.

Family members started arriving one by one, taking their seats at the long dining table based on name cards that were placed. They were waiting for Jane to arrive. Seating was decided by the head of the family, who currently is Grandma Jane.

Usually this has never been a problem. Except for today. A middle aged man was particularly furious when he saw Sophie sitting at the left side of the head. This was a problem because the left and right seats flanking the head of the table are considered VIPs. The man believes he is supposed to sit in one of them. Alas, his name was not in any of the cards, for his name was carefully placed near the middle part, far from the head, just as planned.

This man was Sophie's father, Gary. A sophisticated man like him was denied the VIP seat but his rude bratty daughter was not??

"Sophie, why are you sitting here?" Gary asked, trying his best to mask his annoyance.

"Because my name is here." Sophie answered calmly, not even looking at her father's face.

"Is this some joke? Did you switch out the cards?!"

"No, I didn't. Even if I did, surely somebody would notice. There's maids around us watching out on behalf of Grandma and the butler has been making sure everything is perfect. Again, I'm not stupid enough to do so."

Gary gritted his teeth. He might dislike his daughter but he knew she was right. Although only 14 years old, she was the smartest person in the whole Han family tree. He knows that very well.

Helen, his current wife, snake her hand around his arm and pulled him away while whispering words of comfort. She subtly glared at Sophie, whom she believes is a spawn of the devil. Helen has said this in front of the child rather cruelly in fact. That moment was fresh in her mind. Years ago, for some reason Sophie made her mad. And in midst of yelling and swearing Helen said, "Now I truly believe you are a devil!"

It infuriates Helen that Sophie's response was, "Likewise. I'm glad we share the same sentiment about each other."

Now that same brat is seating among the VIP? She married Gary for the money and he couldn't even do something as simple as sitting at the right chair.

"Attention everyone! Madam Jane Marigold Han has arrived." Announced William.

Jane entered the banquet. She stood in front of her seat at the head of the table. Lucas came only after Jane gave a signal.

"Welcome, everyone. As you might know from my invitation, I have important news. Many years ago my daughter and her husband died a tragic death, leaving Hanari Group at a vulnerable state. Fear not, for my grandson has returned. I am please to introduce all of you to Lucas Han!"

Lucas strode with confidence. He stood beside his grandmother, welcomed by an orchestra of whispers and murmurs.

"Now Hanari's rightful heir is here. Sit down. Let us feast!" Said Jane. She took a seat and everyone followed.

"Ehem.... What course are you taking in university?" Lucas was asked by Aunt Yuna sitting beside Sophie.

"I'm studying Music Production in Arlanta University."

"Oh my! Arlanta is an amazing institute. But why music?"

"I love music since I was a kid. Plus I already have a job at an entertainment company."