Chapter 3

"Welcome! You must be Athy's new friends." A beautiful lady greeted them. If Athy was an angel, this lady was a goddess.

"Hi, I'm Diana. Who might this handsome young man and lovely lady be?"

"My name is Jia Park. This is...um... I guess ...my little brother, Lucas. Thanks for having us here. Lucas, greet her."

"Hello! I'm Lucas!" He smiled. He was so cute Diana had a heart attack.
"But noona, I'm not your brother tho?" He asked, puzzled.
"Shush. You call me noona right? I'm your sister now."
"Okay!"

"Let's go play, Lucas!" Athy said. She wanted Jia to come but she refused. The two children went off to grab some toys.

"May I ask you something?" Diana said to Jia.
"Sure."
Diana gestured for her guest to sit down om the sofa and gave her a glass of water.

"Why did Lucas say you aren't related?" Diana asked.

"Sigh. Truth is, we really are not related. We're both orphans from the same orphanage. I heard his parents died when he was young. Lucas was often ignored by the other kids because of his looks. His sharp slanted eyes and black hair are rare to the other children. You see, he's Korean American so he gets bullied for being different. I'm just the same as him. We both grew close knowing that fact. Naturally, I became like a real older sister. That's why I want to thank you, Mrs. Diana. Thank you for giving birth to Athy and raising her to be this wonderful child who is sincere in being friends with my brother."

Diana held the teen girl's hands and gave it a squeeze. "Thank you for taking care of Lucas. Without you, who knows if the children even had a chance to meet. Lucas is able to grow like others because he has you constantly looking out for him. You've been strong, it must be hard without your parents." She said.

Jia felt like crying. Nobody has that to her. Nobody has thank her for taking care of the outcast boy. She smiled brightly and continued to talk about many things with Diana. Shortly after, the two children joined them.

"Mommy is a dancer. She works with daddy and make really cool moves!" Athy said to her guests.

Diana chuckled. "That's right. I'm a choreographer and dance teacher. My husband owns an entertainment company— that's how we met. I've worked with many trainees and idols."

"Wow, that's amazing!"

They talked and talked until it was time for Jia and Lucas to go home.

....................................................................

A few days later

Lucas wandered around the streets and decided to go inside a music store. He was always fascinated by music ever since Miss Julia played the piano.

"Welcome. What brings you here, little boy?" Carax said.

"Just looking around." Lucas said. He looked at different instruments in all shapes and sizes. His gaze landed on an instrument he often sees street buskers play. It was dark red in colour, and a metallic sheen as the finish.

"That's a bass guitar. Do you know how to play?" Carax came from behind. Lucas shook his head. Carax took the bass guitar from its display and threw the strap over his head. He began explaining to Lucas about the different parts and components., Lucas stared in awe, drinking in the information.

"Come again tomorrow if you want to learn how to play." Carax said.
"I don't have money for lessons." Lucas said solemnly.
"Then you can work for the lessons. I need help with some cleaning. My back is killing me so I can't reach the spots under the tables and displays. You can come tomorrow, clean it up a bit and I'll give you lessons. Deal?" Carax offered. He extended his hand, waiting for a shake.

Lucas shook his hand saying, "Deal! Thanks old man!" He quickly ran out of the store.

"Hey! I'm not old! Ow, ow, ow, my back..."

....................................................................

Just as he promised, Lucas came back to clean up the store and learn how to play a bass guitar.

20 minutes into the lesson, Carax noticed how Lucas was so spaced out.

"Why are you doing this?" Lucas asked him.

"What do you mean? You cleaned the store, and this is your payment." He replied.

"But why did you even give that offer?"

"Because you seem eager to shine. I'll help you. I'll make you shine brighter than a star."

Lucas was taken aback. He didn't know he looked so excited about playing a musical instrument. He just agrees with his new boss and teacher.

......

Claude entered the music store with Felix behind him, holding Athy's hand. She insisted on following her dad because she felt bored after school. They walked in, Claude instantly looking for the owner of the store while Athy let loose, looking at the vintage vinyls.

Something-or someone- moving behind the display caught her eye. She abandoned the vinyls to see who the person was. Her face brightened when she saw the familiar face.

"Lucas! What are you doing here?" She said.

"Athy? I work here...kind of. I clean up this messy store and the owner teaches me music." Lucas explained.

"Wow, that's cool! Sing me song when you're a pro." She said.

The two children had a long chat whole the adults were working. Claude, overprotective of his precious daughter, felt furious at this little brat talking with Athy. Luckily, Felix was there to calm the situation down.

"Felix, I brought you here to protect her. Why are there flies starting to bug my daughter." Claude said menacingly.

"I think she's having fun with her new friend sir. After all, children need friends for good development. The little miss would be lonely without a friend to accompany her. Besides, I have looked into the boy's background sir. I gave you the file a week ago." Felix explained like a professional.

Claude groaned. He must've forgotten to take a look at said file. Felix came prepared. He handed his boss a tablet with a soft copy of the file. Claude skimmed through whole Felix briefly explained.

"Name, Lucas Lee. Age, 6. Birthday, December 25th. Korean American. Father American and Mother Korean. Orphaned about three years ago. Parents died in a car crash. He now stays at Starling Hope Orphanage. No siblings. No other relatives. He is close to a 16 year old girl in the same orphanage named Jia Park. There's another file regarding her." Felix swiped his tablet to open another file.

Claude shoved the tablet back to Felix, making a mental note to read everything thoroughly later. He called Athy's name and she said goodbye to Lucas while running to her dad.

....