Chapter 36 | Scared

Start from the beginning

And for some odd reason, it comforts me.

"I'm here if you need someone," She continues while consoling me.

I breathe into her shoulder, and she slowly rubs my back in small gentle motions. I can just tell that she is going to be a good mother. Her touch calms me as I come back down from my heightened emotions.

"Hello?" Dr. Khan awkwardly walks in, unsure of the situation.

I quickly wipe my tears, and Krista scoots off the bed, keeping her hand on the lower part of my neck.

"Doctor!" She greets him.

"Is she prepared for surgery?" He promptly questions after realizing that I am alright. His long legs take him through the room as he moves with lightning speed.

"Yes, sir," Krista replies, "She is ready."

My parents walk in and say their goodbyes, almost making me cry. Grant quickly walks away, holding his breath as he goes. My mom's eyes are red, but she pretends everything is alright. My dad shows me an encouraging smile while he kisses me on the forehead, telling me that everything is going to go completely well.

God, I hope so.

The only person that isn't here is Blake. The absence of his presence causes my soul to burn.

I need him to be okay.

Dr. Khan begins to roll my hospital bed out of the room, taking me down a large hallway. Two double doors labeled 'Only Authorized Personnel Beyond This Point' are waiting at the end.

Nurses are rushing from hospital room to hospital room, yelling indecipherable words. The clamor of the hallway causes my head to buzz. The sound of people shouting scares me.

With Dr. Khan's quick feet and swift speed, he takes us there in no time. I hold my breath as he reaches to press a button, opening the two doors.

But, before he gets to squeeze it, I hear a familiar voice within the scuttling people.

A voice that causes my heart to stop.

"Wait."

I turn around to see his face.

Blake is standing at the other end of the hallway with a fresh bouquet of roses in his hands. As he runs toward me his silky black hair shines underneath the fluorescent lights.

His hand reaches for my face, and I lean towards his touch.

"Sorry, I'm late. I lost track of time," He whispers against my cheek after planting a kiss on my forehead.

His strong voice drowns out all of the outside noises.

"God, you still look gorgeous, even in a hair net."

"Shut up," I playfully push his shoulder.

Dr. Khan harshly clears his throat while sending me a look of frustration.

"Hey, you're going to be fine," Blake turns my attention towards himself, "I'll be there when you wake up.

"You don't know that," I answer while shaking my head.

"You're right, I don't," He continues.

"But I do know that you are a fighter," He points his finger at my chest, "I know that you don't get scared when things get tough. So, please, try to give it your best fighting chance. For me."

My heart aches at his words. I will fight for him.

"Okay, I will." I nod and plant a kiss on his cheek.