Forty

Jungkook

Closing the front door behind me, I am greeted by Bam. Sometimes I feel bad that I can't give him as much time as he deserves, but work makes that difficult. Regardless, I make sure he is taken care of and that I spend time playing with him whenever I am free.

I picked up some food on the way home so now I don't have to worry about cooking. I jog up the stairs and take a quick shower because it is much needed. I brush my wet hair out of my face and throw on a shirt and sweatpants.

While I put my tie and suit away so one of my maids can take them to the dry cleaners tomorrow, my hair dries and stops falling in my face. It's gotten longer than I usually wear it, but I didn't have much time to go to the barber lately.

After I get everything done, I take care of Bam's last meal for the day and refill his water bowl as well. The weather is getting warmer by the day and he drinks a lot, so I want to make sure he is hydrated.

I take a water bottle from the fridge for myself and chug it down in a few gulps. Leaning my hip against the kitchen counter, I watch Bam eat until the doorbell echoes through the empty house.

Drawing my eyebrows together, I head for the door, wondering who it could be because I wasn't expecting anyone. I toss the water bottle into the trash can on my way and when I open the front door, I'm surprised to find the person on the other side.

"Mikayla?" her name leaves my mouth in surprise.

She is standing in front of me, her doe eyes fixed on the door and as our eyes meet, the beautiful smile she always shows appears on her lips. It's soft and closed-mouthed, but it makes her eyes crease at the edges.

I wasn't expecting her here, but that doesn't mean I'm not glad she came. It always makes my day brighter when I see her, and the fact that we only saw each other for a few seconds in the hallway today at work as we walked past each other because we both had a lot going on shows how much I missed her presence.

Concern stirs me because she usually texts before she comes over. "Did something happen?" I ask, even though I know she wouldn't smile in that case, but I can't help but make sure.

"Can I come in?" she asks instead, ignoring my question.

"Yes, of course." I step aside to give her access to my house.

She steps inside and I close the door behind her. I expect her to keep walking into the living room or kitchen, but she eventually stops and turns to me. The smile still hasn't disappeared, though it's receded a bit now. Into something shy.

"You are kind of scaring me," I admit as she continues to just stare without saying anything.

She chuckles before biting down on her bottom lip. That makes me weak in the knees. "Everything's fine, don't worry," she says and I nod, taking a steadying breath. "I was at my parents' earlier."

I still think it's weird that we're standing in the space between the kitchen and the living room, but I don't say anything. "How are they?" I ask instead.

"They're fine. My mom scolded me for not coming over as much." she laughs. "She was actually making dinner, but I came here."

I raise my eyebrow because the Mikayla I know wouldn't pass her mother's cooking. "Why didn't you stay?"

"Because I saw something," she replies, taking a step toward me.

"What did you see?"