Twenty-Five

I stare out the window at all the other skyscrapers and the sun, my hands linked behind my back. I have a meeting, but Kiyara hasn't announced Ethan's arrival so I guess he's not here yet. Glancing at my watch, I notice that our meeting should start in five minutes.

Something about him infuriates me. I've never really been fond of him, but since our company regularly works with his father, I don't exactly have a choice. I would rather Christian Stan come to these meetings himself instead of sending his son.

It's not like he's ever done anything to me. It's probably just the way he takes business deals lightly and that's something I don't like. He acts too close like we are friends, acquaintances. When in fact we are nothing more than business partners.

I do like his father, though. He is a hard-working man and also good at what he does. He has helped our company a lot, but it seems that age doesn't care much for him anymore. And Ethan is the heir to his golf equipment company. They helped us through our difficult times and for that I will always be grateful.

I step away from the window, now heading for the door. Leaving my office, Kiyara reports to me that Ethan has already entered the building, so I wonder if he got stuck in the elevator or something. Walking down the hallway, I decide to check on him because I have another meeting after him.

It doesn't take me long to spot him at the end of the hallway, leaning against a desk. He's talking to Mikayla and she's smiling at something he seems to be telling her.

I'm guessing he's talking about one of his golf weekends or whatever. That's something a lot of rich suck-ups seem to do, with their polo shirts and too-tight golf pants.

Something is boiling inside me and I find myself getting closer faster than I had planned.

"I see you're already here, Ethan," I say, causing him to stop talking in the middle of his sentence. He looks over at me and I can feel Mikayla's eyes on me as well. "I've been waiting for you."

He looks at his wristwatch. "Oh, you're right." he laughs. "Mikayla and I were too engrossed in our conversation."

My jaw clenches and I let my tongue slide along my inner cheek. Mikayla looks away as my eyes fall on her. I know it's Ethan's fault and not hers because I know she's diligent and meticulous.

I wonder if they are seeing each other and just thinking that makes my fists clench. Has he asked her out on a date? I bet he has. Did she like it, did she have a good time?

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't distract my employees during work hours," I say coldly and see him roll his eyes in amusement at that. But I'm not joking.

I glimpse back at Mikayla to catch her reaction to this. She bites her lower lip, clearly feeling bad. I always find a way to make her feel bad with my insensitive way of phrasing things. I hope she didn't take it to heart.

That ruby lipstick makes me stare longer than is appropriate, but I can't take my eyes off of it.

She took the day off yesterday and I'm guessing it's because of her mom. She could have taken the whole week off and I wouldn't have had a problem with it. After all, health is the most important thing in this world and I don't want her constantly thinking about her mother while she's at work.

I break from my trance when Ethan's voice rings out. "Shall we start the meeting you've clearly been waiting for then?" he asks and I nod.

"Mrs. Blue has arranged the conference room for us," I announce and already start to walk away, expecting him to follow me. I hear him whisper something to Mikayla, but I can't make out what he's saying. Not that I care if he's talking trash about me.