Twenty-Three

I swipe my employee badge at the entrance and continue on my way to the elevators. I greet Amanda as she runs into me and she greets me back. The elevator is packed as usual, but I manage to get a spot just in time.

As we ride up, I remember the day I got stuck in here with Mr. Jeon, and I have to admit that since then I've been a little afraid that it could happen again. I'm glad he was with me, otherwise, I wouldn't have known how to handle it. Or probably would have died of boredom.

I let my eyes wander around the elevator - without staring at the others like an idiot, of course - wondering what the ruby-red thing from our game was. He must have sharp eyes because I can't see anything like that here.

Brushing these thoughts aside, I lean against the metal wall. The numbers keep rising and on different floors, a few get off. In the end, only a man whose name I don't know and I are left as we quietly ride up to the forty-second floor.

When the elevator dings and the doors slide open, the man gets off first and I follow. What a gentleman.

Megan is not in her seat, making me think she is either in an early meeting or hasn't even arrived yet. I slept very well last night, but my morning coffee has somehow become a routine, which is why I make my way to the kitchen.

It's quiet, probably because it's still so early in the morning. I get in front of the coffee maker before grabbing a mug from the cupboard. Steam rises as the mug slowly fills with the dark liquid.

I lean my hip against the counter and my mind wanders to yesterday. It's not intentional that the memories come flashing back, but it nonetheless brings a smile to my lips.

It was a normal conversation. It didn't feel weird, although some tension was present. We didn't talk much as he waited with me, but I'm still glad he was so considerate even though he had other things to take care of.

Maybe it was a sign for me to forget what happened and move on. I'm still confused, that hasn't changed, but I'm willing to forget if we can be mature with one another.

And maybe he is trying to be normal with me again before hinting at a conversation. After all, I've been the one running away from him. It makes me want to think that one day he will explain it to me.

Just as the coffee finishes pouring, someone approaching draws my attention. And it's crazy to think that our subconscious and the sixth sense are so strong that we know someone is approaching before we even see that person.

Mr. Jeon enters the kitchen and when our eyes meet, his steps slow down. I've noticed how often we have crossed paths in the past few months. It's noticeable because I don't remember seeing him that often around the company before the time I worked as his assistant for a short while.

I can't say I know more about him now or can gauge what kind of person he is despite our encounters, but it still helps me see who my boss is and how to interact with him.

I push my hip off the counter, turning to face him and that's when he presses his lips into a tight line. His hair is styled back today - different from the way he wore it yesterday - and he's dressed in a striped shirt.

The top buttons are undone, and the way his belt hugs his waist shows how delicate his proportions are. I wonder how many hours he spends in the gym to achieve such broad shoulders, a strong chest, and toned thighs—

What am I thinking right now?

My eyes widen and I shake my head, trying to rid myself of these thoughts. I didn't realize I was checking out my boss.