Twenty

I am frantically rushing around the company, looking everywhere for the dark-haired woman I have been searching for all morning. Farah seems to be nowhere in sight, and it's probably not because of her petite form.

One of our clients has not approved the execution of a project-related script and is asking for a rewrite, and I need her to schedule the necessary meetings for that. Farah is our organizer and the bridge between our clients and us. She communicates with the secretaries of each company and I can't find her anywhere.

The last few days have been very busy and with the holidays and New Year's Eve approaching, we need to work harder to finish the last projects before the end of the year. I am totally anticipating my days off and finally being able to sleep in in the mornings.

I'll be staying at my parents' house, the furniture in my old room is still intact so I can come over whenever I want. Christmas is one of the best times of the whole year because my parents and I spend a lot of time together. And because the food is indescribably excellent.

I let out a sigh as I drop into my chair. Megan turns to me, a questioning look in her eyes. "I've been looking for Farah all day because I can't continue working until I've gotten in touch with the client, but I can't find her anywhere," I explain and she nods.

"I haven't seen her either," she says before turning back to her computer.

Great.

Just as I'm about to give up, head lingering against my chair, I spot Lizzie. She was in a meeting and judging by her smile, the meeting must have gone well. She greets me as she walks past my desk to get to hers before stopping abruptly.

"Oh, Mikayla." she turns to me and I hum. "Weren't you looking for Farah?"

"Yeah, but I couldn't find her," I sigh.

"I just saw her walking to the elevators. I think she's about to leave." she jerks her thumb in the direction of the elevators and my eyes widen. I can't let her go home before I talk to her.

"Crap. Thank you!" I exclaim, already jumping to my feet and jogging toward the elevators. I stumble a few times, but I don't let that hold me back. With the important papers in my hand, I race past a few colleagues and also Josh, who tries to strike up a conversation with me, but I run past him apologetically.

Why does it feel like I'm running in slow motion and where is the war-heralding, dramatic soundtrack coming from?

I'm almost at my destination when I see a familiar face a few steps ahead walking down the hallway in my direction. My eyes widen as I realize that I've spent the last few days avoiding Mr. Jeon and hiding from him.

Which, mind you, is not the easiest thing to do. I still haven't had the courage to face him. Especially not after what happened a few days ago. I don't know what I was thinking hiding under my desk, but I panicked.

Some may judge me for it because it shouldn't be a big deal and I should be over it, but whenever I catch even a glimpse of Mr. Jeon anywhere in the building, I get a weird feeling inside. I get nervous and all I can think about is the night of the launch party.

Thank goodness there is still a small hallway to my right and I make a right turn like a professional stuntman. The company is big and there are several ways to reach your destination, which confused me at the beginning of my career here. It took me time to figure out the labyrinth of rooms and hallways.

I take quick steps, blocking out everyone else, and when I make a left turn to the elevators, I bump into someone.

Mission failed.