LIFE

Hello, my name is Asha, pronounced Ah-sha. I attend Winslow High School and it's the end of my junior year. My eyes kept looking at the clock on the classroom wall, waiting for the day to be over.

The bell finally went off and I hurried out of my 8th period class. Rumors were going around that my lab partner, Jeremy and I hooked up....I'm a virgin so it's common sense we didn't, but his girlfriend Tia wasn't trying to get my side of the story.

"There she is....right there."

She wanted to fight and Jeremy was nowhere to be found.

The school exit was a few feet ahead of me so I picked up the pace to get out of sight. We had three days left of school before summer break but now I was thinking about making this my last day.

As soon as I made it outside, a group of girls stood in front of me blocking my way. I turned to go back but Tia and her two minions were now doing the same.

"So you like fucking people's boyfriends, huh?"

I shook my head. "Nothing happened."

My heart was racing as a crowd began to form. I made it all the way to my junior year avoiding the mean girls and any other drama highschool had to offer....today that tradition has ended.

"Don't lie to me, whore!"

"I'm not lying!"

Tia was a senior, popular, pretty and of course a total bitch. I don't understand why people who have and get everything they want are so miserable.

"Oh yeah, then why did he have these?" She threw something at me.

A pair of purple heart underwear hit me in my chest. I grabbed it and looked. The crowd yelled and laughed.

Oh my god...these are mine, how did he get these?!

Then I remembered when we were at my house doing our science project, Jeremy asked to use the bathroom.

He must have gone into my room and took them. What a creep!

Before I could get my thoughts together, Tia pushed me. I've never been in a fight before, I was scared. Then her hand slapped me across my face.

"Daaammmn!" The crowd shouted and my face stung.

An anger that I've never felt before caused me to swing my fists not caring what I hit. We fell to the ground with me wailing on top of her...I was surprised how good my punches connected with her face.

"Get her off me!" She cried.

Then I felt my ponytail being pulled. I covered my face and head as multiple fists piled onto me.....I was now getting jumped by her friends.

***

I sat in the passenger seat of my mother's car, taking a verbal beating. I've never been in trouble before so I'll blame this lashing on my mother being shocked.

"Asha, you have to be conscious of who you hang around."

"We weren't hanging....Jeremy was my lab partner."

I spoke softly, looking at my busted lip and scruffed up hair in the car 's sun visor mirror.

"Why did you pick him?"

"Mom, the teacher picked him."

Yup, I'm being blamed for getting jumped because Jeremy is a perv...Great!

We pulled into the driveway and of course...Mr. Gerald was home early. It's not that I disliked my mom's husband.....

"What's up Ashy?"

I disliked his son Kyle. He was 21 years old, skinny, a few inches taller than me...I'm 5'3...who dropped out of college to pursue his "music" career.

Or was that a manager and club promoter?

But that's not why I dislike him.

"I heard you got beat up today." He peeked through his dyed blue locs.

I side eyed him. "I got jumped."

"Really? That's even worse! I knew that stuck up attitude would catch up to you sooner or later." He laughed.

Annnnd...That's why I dislike him.

"I am not stuck up."

I rolled my eyes and walked into the house. My body was ready for a nice hot shower, I couldn't wait to get this dirt off me. As soon as I went into my room I got undressed and put on my blue fluffy robe.

My mom came into my room. "Asha?"

"Yes?"

"You don't have to go the last few days of school."

My face lit up.

"But you're on punishment for a week. Hand over your phone."

I was too tired to protest so I just gave her the phone, thankful I didn't have to go back to that school until September.