22

Ivan Petrov

My routine is so bad, I'm sure my alarm clock feels sorry for me.

I usually wake up at five in the morning and play basketball with Hope on our makeshift court in the middle of the woods. Then I shower and get dropped to the bus stand. After boarding the bus to school, I spend my day with Hayden, Willow and Tyler. They usually do the talking. An entire day of dodging my team and coaches later, I go for physiotherapy and then to the auto repair store I work in. I board the bus home and spend the rest of the day with the Hopes.

I call my sister on the weekends where I keep prodding her to change her 'just friends' status with Harry. Of course she doesn't listen. She keeps asking me if I'm feeling alright. I keep assuring her I am. And she keeps nodding like doesn't believe me.

"You broke your leg? Again?" Hope is glowering at me like he usually does. He's either glowering at me or feeding me green salad. Like actually feeding me. No comment.

"I didn't break it, it's just dislocated. Your dad's a doctor, you should know the difference."

He groans. "He isn't even in town this week. What am I gonna do!"

All the Hopes, save for Hope, left for a weeklong trip to a nearby hill station. They went because Sebastian's mental health was deteriorating since his girlfriend left the town without informing him. Hope and I chose to stay back because we had games to play. Or at least he did, I had barely started training.

"Look, it isn't even a major dislocation. My knee's already relocated and I didn't even do a thing. We just have to ice and heat it repeatedly, it'll be fine."

Wordlessly, he goes to the kitchen and brings me an ice pack. He places it on my knee and sits beside me on the couch. "Don't be so reckless next time." His voice is soft. "You'll only end up eating more avocado salad."

I chuckle. "Well, thanks to your salad, I'm taller than you now."

He frowns. "No, you're not! Sure, you've grown taller. But you're probably my height."

I nudge him on the elbow. "Admit it when your ego decides to give you a break. But I wanted to talk to you about more important things." He nods and I continue speaking. "Our match is drawing closer. It's in a week now."

"Our match? The one in which we're going to face each other?"

I nod. "We're still rivals, Hope."

"I haven't forgotten."

"I know. But I have to play for the Wildcats. I know I'm injured but... they haven't been doing very well lately and I can't afford to back off in the most important match of the season."

"You can start training, if that's what you're asking me for. I can't stop you from playing for your team. Especially in a match against us. That would seem like I'm taking advantage of the situation."

I smile weekly. "Thanks."

He pats my back. "Since you aren't fully recovered, I'm going to double your calcium intake."

"So more kale salad?" I groan.

He smiles. "More kale salad."

***

It's a Friday night and I'm dressed in those Wranglers Hope bought for me not so long ago - the only skinny jeans in my closet, and one of my usual black tees. Hope's dressed in black jeans, a charcoal hoodie and a leather jacket worn over it.

"Where are we going?" I ask, the cool breeze hitting me as Hope locks the front door of his house.

"We're going to have some fun," he responds, unlocking his red convertible and motioning me to join him inside. My fracture has healed, so all I have to worry about is an injured knee and an almost fixed ribcage.