Chapter 1

For as long as I can remember, it had always been my mom, my sister, and me. That is until mom started dating this guy that became into marrying the guy. Phil is a great person, there was nothing wrong with him, apart from the fact that he isn't my dad. Charlie, as my sister calls him, had stayed back in Forks, Washington. He and mom had separated do to complicated and not at all selfish reasons. My mom, Renee, had wanted to get out of Forks, she didn't want to live in a small town suffocated, where everyone knew everyone. But my dad thought she was crazy, they had a good home and stable jobs, they had me and Bella. But that wasn't enough for mom.

Dad is the chief of police at Forks, where it rains constantly under gloomy, fluffy clouds. Mom wanted out, she was a free spirit that did not want to be contained, she was crazy and an overall upbeat woman. They got in a huge fight, strong words were exchanged, and harsh looks were shot at one another. It was better that they were separated, they are happy now, and every once in a while, they call each other to see how they are doing. I think it's safe to say that they are friends.

Everything is perfect, or at least it would be if my dear little sister would stop complaining about not wanting to go to Forks this year. Bella has been talking my ear off- more like whining- since we decided we would visit dad and stay for a year. Phil's plays for a baseball team and they will be traveling. Remember when I said my mom is a free spirit? Yeah, she wants to go along with him, but feels guilty if she left us alone. It was Bella's idea, so I don't know why she's bitching about it now. Even if she doesn't want to go, and she has changed her mind she won't tell mom.

We hadn't been to Forks in a while, Bella didn't like the cold and wet weather. But I did, it just didn't matter what I wanted though. I was older and had to please her, even if she hasn't had a temper tantrum in years, I had to be the bigger person. So, even if I wanted to see dad, I couldn't go alone, Bella would have to go with me, but she never wanted to accompany me, which meant no trip for me. I wasn't able to see dad, at least in person. I would call him as much as I could by video and if Bella was near I would hand her the phone so that she can say 'Hello'. Their conversations never lasted, Bella was awkward, and so was I, but it was almost like she was afraid to get close to people. At the very least I could defend myself, I got used to people talking down on me, so I fought back, with words obviously. I had to set an example for Bella, not like she was just a year younger or anything.

There were many differences between the two of us. She likes hot and lonely places, things which were plain, and she was picky. Bella also had a fear of blood, Hemophobia, I believe it's called. Whereas I was easy to please, I was only picky with food, there isn't much I would eat. I also loved both cold and hot weathers. Phoenix is so hot in the summer that car tires can melt by being parked for only a few minutes. Even if it was for a long time, tires melting was too much. I liked hot temperature, however not boiling my feet and burning my skin type of hot.

Bella hugged mom with a tight smile, and as she pulled away Phil called out loudly from the car to hurry up. I smiled at his eagerness. One would think he could wait to get rid of us, but I know he means well. He must be dying to have some alone time with his wife. I couldn't blame him, it must be trying wanting to give some loving to your partner and always be cautious incase anyone is near, or at home. Your own home.

When we boarded the plane neither Bella nor I spoke a word to each other, this is how it usually went. We were close, yes, but we didn't speak much. I guess that is just one of our limited similarities. Bella was careful, sleeping with her hands tightly holding on to small cacti mom gave her as a gift, a little piece of Phoenix to keep with her.

Bella sat beside me to the left, and to my right was the window where I watched the hot and sunny desert turn to mountains with cold clouds and trees so tall you would get lost. The difference was uncanny.