"Just until tomorrow! My mom's got the kids, so I've got to get back and relieve her of her duties," she laughed dryly, "I'm sure she's already exhausted."

Stevie watched as Kristen attempted to cozy up to Lindsey once again. She hated herself for feeling relief at the woman's answer. But the truth was, it suddenly hurt more than ever to see her all over Lindsey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days went by, and Lindsey and Stevie still hadn't spoken a word, their onstage interactions the only they'd been having. Lindsey had just put Kristen in a limo, a huge sigh of relief passing through him as he watched the car pull out of their latest hotel stop and towards the airport. He made his way back up towards his hotel suite, ready to get back in bed and take a nap before tonight's show. Once he reached his floor, he stopped dead in his tracks at the sight before him. There stood Stevie in his doorway, waiting quietly for his return.

"Hey," he spoke out, his voice full of shock.

"I figured it was time to talk," she sighed with a shrug.

"Come in," he nodded, guiding her into his suite, the relief in his voice loud and clear.

She followed him apprehensively into his suite, unable to ignore the feel of his hand guiding her lower back as they walked in. Distancing herself, she took a step forward and headed towards to couch in his suite, planting herself in the corner as he stood and watched her, waiting for her to initiate the conversation. It was clear she had a speech prepared, he knew her too well by now.

"I don't want to fight," she announced, "I don't want to find ourselves back in the days of the past. I want to...be able to enjoy our kids' special band performance and..not have any lingering weirdness or tension. We owe that to them and to ourselves."

He swallowed, nodding in agreement. "I want that too."

"I'm not mad at you, I'm really not. I just..."

"I know," he finished her sentence for her, fully understanding, "I know completely."

"It was really beautiful and I don't regret it."

"I could never regret you," he sat down next to her on the couch.

"Friends?" She asked taking his hand in hers.

He laughed.

"What?" She grinned.

"We've never been able to be friends."

"Well there's no time like the present to start."

He grinned with a nod, "Okay. Friends."

There were a lot of things left to be said, but they couldn't. And they both knew that. Instead, this would have to be enough. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Atlanta, Georgia

There was less than one week of shows left until the band's upcoming two-week break. Somehow, the first three weeks had flown by, the excitement and reunion serving as an adrenaline rush fueling everyone through the many city stops. There were already conversations about extending the tour in the fall, but Stevie had her reservations. She was already missing her daughter Lily desperately, and they'd only been apart for two weeks. Soon she would be going back to school and Stevie didn't want to miss out on all the moments, both little and big. There was, then, of course the issue of her and Lindsey.

They'd found themselves back in neutral territory, much to her relief. But it was hard to pretend like they didn't spend an entire week exploring each other's bodies for hours into the night. Every time they met eyes backstage, she had to block out the memories of them sneaking around - his hands and tongue all over her. Of course, the tension and secret reunion had only fueled their onstage chemistry further, which was always a bonus. And while on stage it was great, it was still hard to remember it had to stay on stage as an act and nothing more.