Chapter 5: Hero

Nyx flicked her wrist and the door flung open. On a silver pedestal, a stone tablet rested behind a thick glass shield.

Just get the tablet and get out.

Nyx flexed her wrist and water shot forward, obliterating the glass. Immediately, the lights began to flash red and Nyx raised an eyebrow. Museums were beginning to raise security on objects she might steal. Water nymph tablets had much better security than she was used to.

Oh, who cares?

Nyx grabbed the stone and turned around, her eyes glancing over the room. Security was better, maybe, but reaction times seemed to be worse.

Justice League must be busier than the mini League.

Nyx passed through the door and a small taser suddenly shot out, smacking into her back. She gritted her teeth and fell, the tablet falling from her hand and shattering.

Young heroes stepped out of their hiding places and Nyx flexed her wrist immediately. Every water faucet within the vicinity exploded and within seconds, the room was flooded.

The electricity from the taser wire spread throughout all the water, shocking both her and the heroes. She pulled out the wire and looked back at the heroes.

Aqualad suddenly grabbed Nyx. Him, her, and all of the rest of them were beig shocked and Superboy was having a hard time breaking through the wall as everyone started to drown.

"Stop!" Aqualad yelled desperately, but only Nyx could hear him through the water. "Take it out! You'll kill them!"

Nyx flicked her wrist again and the water level plummeted, leaving everyone gasping on the ground, only a foot of water left. Nyx shoved Aqualad away and stumbled out the door.

She pushed into another room and shut the doors.

The tablet was broken. She almost killed a bunch of hero kids. She almost got caught. They were still out there.

Nyx looked around and saw a medallion. She didn't know what it was, but judging by the fact that it was on display and looked old, Nyx guessed that it was an artifact. This would have to substitute her lost bounty.

Nyx wobbled slightly after she grabbed it and huffed. That was a lot of water that she pulled. She used a lot of force and a lot of energy. Nyx was ready to fall out any moment.

She passed through the doors and looked around.

"N. Get out. The heroes assumed you'd escaped and are gone. This place is about to blow." Maximilian's voice said over the speakers.

He was watching?

Of course he was.

Nyx turned and ran toward the nearest exit and swung the door open. An explosion sounded further back in the compound and Nyx froze.

This place is about to blow.

"You! Stop!" Nyx turned around and saw Aqualad running toward her.

Oh no.

She flicked her wrist and moved out of the doorway, using the water she had dispersed earlier to throw him out too. It flooded through the entire building and Nyx closed her eyes, locating security guards and the other heroes. Then she pushed them all out of various exits and away from the building.

Nyx fell to one knee in exhaustion. She needed to keep going. There was no time for rest.

Nyx turned and saw that Aqualad had gotten up from where she pushed him and was running back toward her. The speakers on the building erupted in static; it was Nyx's final warning to get herself clear.