09; beat some ass

the class race finished swiftly, with heizou winning for their class, entirely forgetting his disagreement with scaramouche as he hurried up to you

he attempted to tackle you into an embrace, which you immediately averted as you noticed the odor he was about to emit owing to his already excessive sweating.

after avoiding his bear hug, the boy pouted at you. "you stink, get away," you retorted, earning heizou's frown, "well, at least i'm one step closer to going on a date with you."

you laughed at this and shook your head, "not occurring and here." you then, at that point, threw him a cold water bottle to which he mumbled with thanks. before heizou could add another remark, amber abruptly in the middle between.

"good luck with your match, y/n!" she said as she handed you her hair tie, and you grinned back. "thank you," you say as you take the hair tie from her and knot your hair yourself.

as heizou silently admired you, amber moved away to do her hardest to soothe her other classmates. heizou stood there watching you slide your collected hair into the hair tie and knot it into a low ponytail.

he wanted to say something caustic, but he couldn't seem to come up with anything. when he sees you adjusting the hair tie and how a few hair strands fall, he can feel himself going into a trance.

"stop looking, weirdo," you pointed out as you noticed him casting a glimpse at you.

the boy looked insulted and pointed at himself, "me? staring at you? how could i gaze at a blemish." he denied, laughing at such a case.

"see you later, watch me beat them," the h/c-haired girl said firmly, causing heizou to smile. "don't go easy on them," he said, oblivious to your superior athletic ability.

the volleyball game started soon after you caught up to your classmates on the court. after a flip of a coin and you wagering on tails, which effectively arrived on tails. you were the first to serve the ball.

bouncing the ball on the floor before raising it into the air, springing upwards, and smashing the ball to the opposite side of the court with your hand. that was the start of a fierce game.

heizou stood there watching his girlfriend ace the serve till one of the opponents caught it. he was proud of her and slightly surprised at how talented she is, but he was so engrossed in his thoughts that they were cut short.

"go y/n!" a random boy voice yelled from the crowd, rooting for her and making heizou rapidly turn in the voice's heading.

childe who arrived mysteriously alongside the olive-green-eyed boy chuckled at how quickly heizou gazed at the nobody.

"ohh, what are you going to do about it?" joked childe, earning a glare from the shortie. "dude shut up, as if y/n would even notice him."

he did, however, open his lips to yell when he spotted the boy about to yell once again. heizou determined to scream and make his voice heard loud and clear at that point.

"go beat some ass, y/n!"

the professors who heard it merely sighed, while the random boy found himself silenced when he observed y/n's boyfriend glaring at him as if teasing him to yell louder and see who's the loudest.

you certainly heard it since your eyes met heizou's, and you rolled your eyes at him before returning your attention to the game. heizou dramatically grabbed his chest as though in anguish, but you plainly didn't notice.

the volleyball game had finally reached the last set, with your team ahead and you were becoming fatigued but desperate to win the dub.

the ball came up to yanfei, who had set it upwards for you and you leaped up with your hand spiking it to the opposite side. as it crashed violently on the floor, it didn't even give the opponent time to respond.

after leading them to victory, the audience erupted in shouts, and uanfei ran up to you and tackled you into an embrace. "we did it," she says, as you laugh and nod.

"we did it."

when you returned to the tents, heizou was the first to greet you, with a towel and a water bottle in hand. he joked, "you're surprisingly good, we're practically like a power couple," to which you simply grumbled and took the stuff from him.

however before you could leave, heizou said something out loud, making you halt abruptly, "i'm proud of you."

it was the first time you'd heard it from anybody other than scaramouche.

"thanks."

in the interim, a specific indigo-haired person watched the two interact and saw a smile pulled dependent upon her lips when heizou had told her something. he growled at this, not seeing his soda can have been squashed by him.

when scaramouche's soda can began to get crushed, venti mumbled to himself, "poor can..."

END OF CHAPTER 09

chapter written; june 16 2022