Euphonious

📍 Articul8, Speech and Language Therapy Clinic

"I'll call and let you know, okay?"

Those were her parting words before storming off, without even giving me a chance to reply. In fact, those were the last words she said to me since the wedding reception.

In moments like these, when I'm distracted, I think about that last encounter and what really happened that night after we left the restaurant. So far, all I know is that we weren't ourselves and that we acted on the heightened emotions of the state we were in.

I need to concentrate if I want to finish this today! I thought, glancing at the computer screen that contained part of a patient's Speech Evaluation Report.

I love my job, I really do. But the worst part about it is that I have to attend meeting after meeting and get buried in paperwork instead of doing what I really enjoy, which is helping my patients improve and recover from their speech, cognitive and swallowing disorders.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that my passion for this field began in kindergarten when a small, shy, brown-skinned boy who stuttered came into the classroom. Some kids made fun of him, others stayed away or just didn't care, but not me.

I befriended him and tried to make him feel welcome and accepted, because that's what I'd want if I were in his shoes.

That turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made, because more than 20 years have passed since then, I've discovered my calling by becoming a speech pathologist, and two months ago I was best man at the not-so-shy boy's wedding.

Tring-tring.

Damn, it's been two hours already? I asked myself in confusion, looking again at my unfinished report and the clock on the screen.

It seemed as if Derick had just called me to ask how I was and how my work trip to Tristan da Cunha had gone. Next thing I knew, he started talking about my lack of rest - considering I've literally been buried in my workfor the past month - and that I came back from said trip today and came straight to the clinic to advance work instead of resting.

"That's what I get for making deals with him." I said, remembering that to get him off my back, I had agreed during our call that I'd stop working in two hours regardless of my progress.

Honestly, I think he - just like my mom - is exaggerating the level of concern. While it's true that I work a lot and often take work home with me, that's only because there aren't enough hours in the day to do all that is expected of me at the clinic.

Tring-tring.

"Come on, De!" Knowing he wouldn't stop until he had my attention and got me to stop working, I picked up the phone to dismissed him. But before I could do that, the call was cut off again.

Tring-tring...tring-tring.

On the third call, I picked up the phone and answered without even glancing at the caller ID.

"Bro..." I said after straightening up and resting my head on the headrest of my chair.

"Hey, it's me...Yuli. Can we talk?" She replied.

To my surprise, it wasn't who I expected.

"..." I just kept silent with my eyes closed, riding the overwhelming waves of emotions her voice triggered in me.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the feeling of well-being that comes over me when her euphonious voice caresses my ears. I guess the best comparison is the feeling you get when you climb into a warm bed on a cold night.