XIII

“We think as if we want to disappear. But all we want is to be found. To be embraced at where we are at the very moment...”

***

I grew up with the scent of books lingering in my nostrils and giving me the sense of life. Throughout my childhood, I've got no one by my side and so literature became my friend.

During the times where my chest feels so heavy after father scolded me, I would then seek my pen to write and express my melancholy on papers that have witnessed how my tears danced together with the words.

Sa pagsusulat, nagkaroon ako ng boses. I feel heard everytime I write. Bagay na kailanman ay hindi ko naranasan sa bahay. Kaya kung hindi lang nabuksan ang isipan ko sa mundo ng sikologo, marahil ay pinili kong i-pursue ang kursong creative writing ngayon.

I love writing. But I more love being a psychologist.

"Deep." The lady uttered after reading what I wrote.

"Thanks?" nagdadalawang-isip ko na sagot. Tumawa s'ya kasabay nang pag-iling ng ulo n'ya.

"I'm Paula by the way. I'm a graduating nursing student. I'm the Editor in Chief of the Asparians. Nice to see you, Jedi," she uttered in a formal tone and extended her hand on me for a handshake.

I gave her a short smile and reached her hand. It was gentle and soft na para bang iniingatan ang paghawak sa kamay ko. Indeed, she's a nurse.

"Boys, come here. Meet Jedi Deoncio. From now on, she'll be part of this family as our creative writer. Behave and be nice," Paula called the guys with authority laced in her voice. Agad namang tumayo ang dalawa at naglakad papunta sa 'min habang ako naman ay nanatiling pino-proseso ang narinig ko.

Part of this family?  Does that mean tanggap na 'ko? Ganoon lang ba kadali pumasok sa organisayong 'to?

"Hi, Jed. I'm Jasheb. 3rd year archi student and the layout artist of the org." pakilala ng lalakeng nakasuot ng round eyeglass na may malawak na ngiti. He extended his hands on me and I willingly took it. I noticed the red stains of Prisma on his hand.

"I'm Nash with the 'y'. 3rd year BS Biology student. The org's Science feature writer," sunod ay wika ng lalakeng moreno. Unlike Jasheb, he just smiled at me. Tumango lang ako sa kan'ya saka ngumiti.

"Welcome to the org, Jedi," pahabol ni Nashy.

"Salamat."

"Great!" wika ni Paula saka pumalakpak.

"Actually, there's 8 personas in Asparians. Kami lang tatlo ang nandito ngayon dahil ang iba ay busy at may kan'ya-kan'yang inaasikaso sa kanilang mga kurso."

"There's Hera, the one whom you talked to last Friday. She's the feature writer. 3rd year  Fine Arts student. Then, Trecy, the photojournalist. 3rd year Media arts student. She's a great photographer. Then, Allia, he's a boy ha, pambabae lang ang name. He's the news writer. 3rd year Journalism student. Then, Zam, 4th year nursing student. The editorial cartoonist. Then lastly, si Johance, 3rd year Polsci student. The one who's in charge in the publication. You'll meet them soon. Tomorrow maybe," pagbanggit n'ya sa limang iba pa.

I nodded to her and raised my brows afterwards after realizing something. Paula is the editor in chief. But she's a nursing student. Then here's Hera, the Fine Arts student but the feature writer and Zam, the nursing student but the editorial cartoonist. How come napunta silang lahat sa organisayong 'to gayong hindi naman konektado rito ang mga kurso nila?

Then there's me. The 2nd year psychology student but the creative writer. How come?

"You're the editor in chief, right?" tanong ko kay Paula nang nanaig sa 'kin ang pagkalito.