40

Chris remained frozen underneath Romeo, not knowing what to say or what to do. He hadn't been able to comfort himself throughout the years, how was he supposed to know how to comfort Romeo? In a way, he couldn't. He couldn't manage out the words, not when Romeo was crying. He could feel the drop of his tears onto his back as Romeo smoothly touched his spine, feeling the way it curved underneath his skin. 

The boy on top, although it wasn't his fault, couldn't help but blame himself. How couldn't he have noticed? And after all the punishment Chris' poor back had to endure, it wouldn't surprise him if the curve had gotten worse because of the harsh treatment. It was all his fault. 

His clothes had hidden it well, but what stuck out most to Romeo was the fact that Chris hadn't told him. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" He sobbed out, leaning back to sit next to Chris, not wanting to put pressure on the back anymore. He sobbed at the severe curve of the spine. It curved near equal amounts on both sides in an S shape, and although the proportion of Chris' body hid it well, underneath close examination, Romeo had figured it out. If only he had noticed it before inflicting punishment on his back. He looked asymmetrical from the back, and he remembered all those times he had seen the body but had never noticed. Why hadn't Chris let him know about such a crucial health concern?

Chris swallowed thickly. He knew exactly why he hadn't mentioned it before. He had even gone out of his way to make sure Romeo wouldn't see or notice. At first, he was just afraid it would complicate things, and serve as a burden. later on, he just didn't see the point. He was afraid Romeo wouldn't want him. So he did what he had been doing for years. He ignored it until he himself forgot about it. This way, it wouldn't get in the way. And nobody would be hurt.

He didn't want to deal with the glances of pity, the looks of disgust that he well knew came with telling people about his condition. He didn't need it to be fixed, he just needed nobody to know about it. 

Chris remained quiet because he didn't know how to answer that question.

"Christopher,"  Romeo called out once more, begging him to answer in any way, but to answer honestly so he could know. The growing pain and hurt in his chest made it hard to breathe, and as he leaned down to press kisses on Chris' back, Chris felt Romeo's lips quiver. 

"I don't know," Chris whispered, his eyes shut closed, tears rolling down his cheeks as he gripped the bed sheets tightly for support. He was glad to have been laying on his stomach so he didn't have to directly face his boyfriend. 

"I think you do," Romeo pressed, not strictly or with added pressure, but with a voice full of plea and vulnerability. "Please, tell me. I need to know." 

Chris rolled around to finally face him, wiping his tears away before doing so. 

"You wouldn't have wanted me if you knew," he said, avoiding eye contact.

Romeo's jaw dropped, flabbergasted at how wrong the boy way. He scrambled to sit up, taking Chris' hands into his own and holding them tightly.

"I can't believe you would actually even consider for a second that I wouldn't have wanted you. I wanted you from the moment I saw you on my throne." 

Chris raised an eyebrow, and in a daring voice, he said, "Yeah? Well you certainly couldn't express it well back then." he didn!t mean to come off as harsh. He just needed Romeo to understand where he was coming from.

Romeo bit his lip in shame, his mind taking him back to the times when he was a major ass to his current boyfriend. He signed, letting his shoulders and posture drop. He could understand why he hadn't told him in the beginning.