Chapter 12-b

Beginne am Anfang

“Could you release me so I can get up? It’s embarrassing to be on top of you,” she whispered as a fierce blush colored her cheeks, almost making her lovely freckles invisible.

“Only if you answer my question.”

“I’m fine.” Her voice took a slight tone of exasperation as she rolled her eyes. “It wasn’t me who took the brunt of the fall.”

“Is anyone hurt?” A male voice barged in, ruining the moment. “We’re so sorry. You see, all this is my girlfriend’s fault. She’s quite wealthy, so she can pay if—”

“Shut up, Marcus,” a blonde shushed the male, annoyance dripping from her tone.

Taking the opportunity, Camille disentangled herself from her savior’s arms and shot to her feet. He followed suit not soon after. His actions didn’t deter her, though. Putting distance between herself and the trio, she hid behind her black-winged angel. Maybe if she made herself the smallest possible, they wouldn’t notice when she escaped. The problem was that she had nowhere to go.

“Geez, you sound like Vergil. Neither of you can take a joke.” Marcus shook his head before a smile bloomed on his lips. “Guess there’s no denying you’re truly his niece.”

The blonde feigned a laugh and stepped around Camille’s protector, bright amber eyes falling over her. The girl felt goosebumps raise on her arms because of the stare alone.

“Are you okay, miss?”

“Take one more step and not even that familiar hiding in your necklace will be able to help you, witch,” the black-winged angel threatened, moving between them, and successfully blocking Camille from the blonde woman.

One brief pulse of warmth radiated from the ruby necklace hanging from Camille’s neck. Her brow furrowed, but before she could question her sanity, the warmth disappeared.

“Hey, that’s my woman you’re threatening...!” The man called Marcus stopped beside the black-winged angel, assessing him from head to toe. “…whatever the hell you are.”

“Back off, Marcus. Judging by those solid black wings, I’d say he’s a Fallen Angel. Way out of your league, my love.” The blonde warned in a demanding yet caring tone, her eyes never wavering from the Fallen in front of her.

The woman’s amber eyes turned molten gold and the wind blowing around them got chillier, making Camille shiver.

Then, it happened again. The ruby got warm once more. This time a pulsing glow accompanied the warmth before it vanished.

What the hell was happening? Was the necklace reacting to the blonde stranger? What was she supposed to do?

“I suggest you leave before the creatures fighting down on the street decide to attack us as well. It was bad enough that your faulty magic almost got my charge hurt, witch.” Without letting the female defend herself, the black-winged angel spun on his feet and lifted Camille in his arms before jumping into the air.

The gem nestled on her chest glowed and began heating up as the angel’s powerful wings took them higher. Almost as if it was angry at their departure. The heat rose until Camille yelped and yanked the ruby pendant away, her ivory skin singed. “Go back! I need to go back to them.”

Looking bewildered at her, the Fallen hesitated.

“Return me to the rooftop. Now!” she begged to him.

Maybe it was the frantic eyes she must have had or the sight of the burn as she held the pendant away that convinced him, but he finally complied.

Swiftly lowering them to the rooftop, they landed in a middle of a conversation between the witch and her boyfriend.

“…use him again,” Marcus said.

The blonde witch shook her head. “I already took a lot of energy to stabilize my magic and it didn’t take us the whole way. If I drain my familiar again, he’ll have nothing to help us with when we face the Yakuza.” She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. “We have to find another way to reach Yamaguchi’s mansion before Vergil does. I’ll hate myself for this, but my father…”

“Maybe you can use this,” Camille offered, stepping forward. Taking off the necklace carefully so the ruby pendant wouldn’t touch her skin, she presented it, holding it by its silver chain. “I think it wanted to be used by you and burned me to make me heed its wishes.”

“Are you sure?” The angel asked from behind her, indecision plain in his voice.

“Magic items don’t work for me. It was a fluke this one brought me here,” Camille explained before facing her savior. Heat flushed her cheeks and a timid smile appeared on her lips before she could stop it. “Anyway, I don’t need the necklace because you can take me home.”

Using the same tactic the angel used with the witch, Camille faced the blonde female without waiting for her savior’s replay. She truly hoped he would agree to help her return home.

“Come on, miss. Take it.”

The witch smiled and took the necklace. “Thank you. Let me heal what this naughty thing did to you in return for your kindness.”

No! I will heal her,” the Fallen angel exclaimed, pulling Camille toward him. “Do not touch her with your black magic.”

Frosty winds surrounded the Fallen and his human before they disappeared in a blink of an eye. Teleporting away was preferable than accepting the help of a black magic user.