22 | win-win-win

#nowplaying

= pinwheel - SEVENTEEN =

💎💎💎

"Should we just live together?" I asked upfront, and Myungho choked on the food that he was munching. I quickly fetched him a tissue and poured him a cup of water while he coughed on and on.

Was my suggestion that bad? Or does he not want to live with me?

"Wh-at?" He could barely speak with his throat in discomfort.

"Drink some water first," I mumbled while passing him the water. I felt disappointed with the reaction I got, and I think I already know his answer to it. "Forget what I said," I feigned a smile.

Let's just be cool and not bring this up again.

We ate in silence for the first minute until he spoke again.

"I can't afford it," Myungho spilled truthfully, keeping his eyes on the food. "I've lived a frugal life, you know." He looked ashamed as he spoke. "I'm not rich and I'm still saving up for the future. The place that I live in is too small, I don't think I can squeeze in another bed for you. Besides... you're living well in a hotel. I'm not gonna make you live in a shitty apartment to be with me."

He kept stirring at his ginseng chicken to avoid my eyes, and my heart ached for him again. I never meant it that way.

"I don't care about any of that," I said.

He forced out a weak smile. "I know you'd say that... but I care."

"So? Will you not date me because you're financially unstable?" I asked without hesitation. It reminded me about how I left five years ago, and it makes me feel unsettled. When he disappeared from school to make money in the adult world, he was the one who turned away from me first. That's why I left without saying goodbye too.

"No, that's not what I mean." He quickly rebutted.

"I'm not asking you to raise me... and I'm not going to raise you either." I reasoned harshly, feeling slightly frustrated somehow. Must've been the pent-up frustration from our five-year separation. "I said to live together, not live under your roof. There's a difference."

"The difference is that I should be responsible for you. I should be capable enough for you to live with me," he insisted.

Man, I felt the heat.

"We're only sharing an apartment together. Why would you be responsible for me? I am responsible for myself!"

"Because you're my girlfriend, and the person I'm going to marry in the future!" His voice was loud, clear, and defensive, and by then my agitation had vanished.

There was a moment of silence between us two. I think I just lost the fight.

"T-That's not something you should be saying now..." I argued weakly, feeling my face burn. "It's not like we're getting married now."

"We will, eventually." He said confidently. "What would your parents think if they knew we lived together? I'd never allow my future daughter to do that with any guy."

"I would let her if the guy was someone like you," I muttered back.

"I wouldn't," he quickly refuted, "especially if the guy was someone like me. You really don't know how much I want you all the time?" He raised his eyebrows.

"The feeling is mutual," I told him.

"I..." Myungho paused, leaving another moment of silence between us. I think I won the fight this time, and it's my chance to lay things out.