❄️ Chapter 16 ❄️

The month of Spring slowly descended into Summer, and Yumetsuki found herself busier than ever with her activities – she was working hard as a Medi-Nin at the Konoha Hospital, aiding Hiruzen as his assistant and going out to missions with Shisui around the Land of Fire and its alliances in the South. Yet there were a lot of things that Yumetsuki wasn't sure about in that routine.

Yumetsuki had begun to feel as if her work in the medical division was getting rather stagnant. It was true that despite her young age, she was renowned for expertise in the field exceeding many who were thrice her age but Yumetsuki felt as if there was much more that she needed to learn.

On the other hand, the lack of ANBU activities she was picking up from the roster made Yumetsuki feel rather guilty. She knew that many dangerous missions could be made easy with her abilities but now that she was trying to learn how to be Naruto's godmother, she wanted to be a clean person.

Naruto did not deserve to be adopted by someone who was known to the world as Akayuki no Yumetsuki, the one who could reduce humans to pile of blood on snowy horizons.

That was not the sort of home that Naruto deserved, and Yumetsuki found herself to be unfitting as a motherly-figure. She felt like it would be more natural to be a sister-like figure instead. Yet still, the council was not allowing Yumetsuki to take Naruto under her wing. They had put up barriers.

Within those barriers, Yumetsuki was not allowed to meet Naruto more than two hours per day which she usually divided in afternoon and night, she was not allowed to discuss her relation to him any further and most importantly, she could not adopt him until they deemed her fit enough to.

Not deemed fit enough was something that Yumetsuki felt like she herself not could refute. She felt like she wanted to renew herself, and somehow, she felt like the answers to that was in Kirigakure.

Yumetsuki longed to go to Kirigakure, to visit her mother's grave and to travel where she had last seen her father alive. She was sure that there would be some relief waiting for her there, to be able to visit and pay her respects to her parents. It was nearly a decade since she had last done so.

Such thoughts always plagued Yumetsuki whenever she was not preoccupied with something else. She laid in her bed that evening, staring at the dark ceiling above her bed. She was about to sigh –

A loud noise interrupted the silence of the heavy, summer evening air and Yumetsuki found herself sitting in bed, her hand going instinctually toward the Kunai under her pillow as she tried to pinpoint where the noise had come from. It came again, and it came from beyond the wall next to her bed.

What in the world is Kakashi-Kun doing at this hour?

There was some barking and Yumetsuki also heard Pakkun speaking. Yumetsuki felt rather tense and she decided that she would go have a look at what was going on.

Everyone appeared to be in their apartments as Yumetsuki made her way down to Kakashi's front door. She reached out to knock on the wooden barrier and it took only a moment before the door opened, revealing an utterly soaked Kakashi standing in front of her.

"... Kakashi-Kun?" asked Yumetsuki, taken aback by this reckless appearance of his. "I apologise but am I interrupting something? I heard noises and wondered if everything was alright,"

Kakashi was too busy staring at Yumetsuki, who was dressed down in her casual over-sized, light blue shirt with a pair of shorts. He caught himself quickly but before he could answer her query, Pakkun stepped out between the two of them, looking up at Yumetsuki.

"This guy is trying to give us a bath," Pakkun informed her and he didn't seem very much impressed by the notion. "I don't know why he suddenly feels the need to do that,"