❄️ Chapter 31 ❄️

Spring was fluttering with the wind, the melodic chirping of birds enriching the air as the mellow sunlight showered upon the village of Konohagakure. It was an ordinary day as Yumetsuki returned to her village, having gone for a mission to the adjacent Land of Rivers. The mission was of important nature but not as time-consuming for Yumetsuki as it could be. She had hoped to return quickly.

Leaving Naruto alone back home while she went on missions was not something that Yumetsuki liked very much. She had started to avoid long-term missions that went out of the village ever since she had adopted him. But often, there would be missions that 'only she could handle' and she had to head off, leaving him in the care of her summons.

It was inevitable, given that Yumetsuki had climbed the leader rapidly in the international medical field and was often called out for conferences. She was renowned around the world, but she had no idea whether that was for the good or for the bad. She had always had some sort of nickname.

From the Red Snow to the Golden Touch, Yumetsuki had heard it all. She had done all the dirty work and she had done all the well. She had done it a bit too well – she was shunned within Konoha for her position as a refugee and for taking care of a 'Demon'. But she had not resisted anything, resigning to the life of doing the dirty, taking that burden for her village.

But Naruto was no longer a young boy – he was now twelve years old, and he was a senior at the Ninja Academy. It was not like he could not take care of himself while she was gone but more often than not, Yumetsuki would return to the village only to find the news as such –

"Yumeko-Kun, it was reported today that

Naruto vandalised the Hokage Mountain again,"

Hiruzen had informed her of that as soon as Yumetsuki had finished up with reporting on the mission. Yumetsuki let out a soft sigh, bowing deeply, knowing that this was starting to become a habit for both her and Naruto. She wished she did not have to hear this the first time when she returned home.

"I apologise, Hiruzen Sensei," Yumetsuki apologised. "Naruto-Chan does not mean ill. I can understand that he struggles with self-identity at times. He feels lonely without me around,"

Excusing herself from the office and supporting a sense of shame, Yumetsuki decided that she would go and fetch Naruto first. She could not blame him for it, either, given that the young boy had no idea how to express himself when everyone would simply disregard his existence as unworthy.

It had been years since that day yet little to none had changed in the attitudes of the villagers. None of them liked Yumetsuki and none of them like Naruto – and when the pair of them were together, they were very much despised. Naruto had only become more and more desperate for attention.

"I want to be the Hokage, Meiko-Chan!"

That was what Naruto would tell Yumetsuki in every breath. It was the first thing he would announce to the world as he would come bounding in the kitchen with 'The Hokage is here, Meiko-Chan!' and the last thing he would ask about before bed was entirely similar, 'Meiko-Chan, I will be the Hokage one day, right?' Yumetsuki did not think otherwise.

"You will be the best Hokage, Naruto-Chan,"

Would be what Yumetsuki would tell him, and she would tell that to him with full belief and conviction. Her boy, although a bit reckless and out-of-control, was the embodiment of a sunshine that did not melt her but made her glint. He was one of the sole reasons of her existence. She poured her love to him, and she wished that he could achieve all that he ever wanted.