❄️ Chapter 28 ❄️

When Yumetsuki had awoken the following morning, she had found herself within an embrace that was unexpectedly warm – it was warm, yet it did not stifle her. Yumetsuki's senses had been folded with the companionship of the man laid in bed with her: the sanctuary of his body, the caress of his arms, the scent of his cologne, and the comfort of his presence.

It slowly dawned on her, the events of the previous night, and to seek the same level of reassurance, she allowed herself to descend deeper into his arms. Kakashi did not appear to mind, even in his sleep, and only brought her closer to himself, allowing her to nestle closer.

Yumetsuki laid there for a very long time. She was fully awake yet had no desire to depart from the warmth of the bed. In the slowly dawning light within that room, there was only the sound of birds welcoming the morning and of Kakashi as he breathed quietly against her head.

Kakashi was someone that Yumetsuki held dear to her heart, and she would always continue to do so. He had been there for as much as Kurenai had – and even more so in some respects. They had both being subjected to mutual pain and understood each other much more than others did. And upon times as such, Yumetsuki wondered if that was the reason why she sought him out like this.

More than anyone else, there was only Kakashi with whom Yumetsuki felt like she could uncover herself to this degree. She could share to him everything – her feelings, her fears and the unforeseen future that was approaching them far too quickly. Yumetsuki felt grateful for him, yet she was too shy to mention that to him.

When Yumetsuki had been a young girl, she had felt that life moved in a very slow manner, that the earth revolved around the sun as slowly as the snow melted in the North. Now that she was in her nineteenth year of existence, it felt like the years were passing by far too quickly for her liking.

It had been over sixteen years since that she had arrived in Konohagakure. Her parents were now long gone, and so were the many people that she had grown to love in this nation. Yumetsuki closed her eyes, trying to clear her mind before she became emotional about such things. She did not want to think about it. It already persisted in her head day and night.

"Yuren-Chan?"

The sound of Kakashi's voice brought her out of her spiralling stupor and she moved her head to look at him. Their eyes met in the morning sunlight, the darkness of his deep grey eyes swirled into her pale blue ones, and Yumetsuki was suddenly very aware of the situation that the two of them were.

"... Kakashi-Kun," Yumetsuki replied, moving slowly to lay back on her own pillow and give him some space. She winced at the coldness of her pillow. "Good morning, did you have a good sleep?"

"Good morning, Yuren-Chan," Kakashi said, and a small smile slipped onto his lips. His face seemed to glow merely by looking at her. "The sleep was comfortable. I didn't keep you in bed, did I?"

"No, I stayed in bed with my own desire," Yumetsuki said. She felt a bit shy under the shadow of his gaze. "It is still early... but I do have to have breakfast and leave for work in a little while,"

"Right," Kakashi replied, and his smile fell a little. "Yuren-Chan..." He continued to look at her with a strange expression. She could not have deciphered it even if she wanted to. "You were disturbed last night... are you doing better now?"

"It was a bad dream," Yumetsuki admitted. She felt a bit embarrassed that Kakashi had seen her in such a state. "But I am... I am grateful that you were there, Kakashi-Kun... so thank you very much for it, Kakashi,"

Kakashi reached out to gently stroke her hair out of her face, and he smiled again at her, "You're always welcome, Yumetsuki. I wish you would rely on me more," He tucked her white hair behind her ear, looking at her moon-like face.