maya meets the cool mom plan

Start from the beginning

maya was intrigued, leaning closer. "rosa's my real mom- jodie's the person that adopted me." paige took out all the documents once again, looking at them with shaky hands, "so all those times she babysat me, was really just her being 'allowed' to see me and spend time with me. my whole life was a lie. what the hell just happened? what do- do i call her 'mom'?"

maya could only offer her the biggest hug she could give, unsure of what to say at all. "are you okay?" maya asked after about a minute, "how did you feel the moment she told you, and how do you feel right now?"

"wh-"

"just answer it. i'm going somewhere with this." maya explained.

"i was so shocked. and then angry because i thought she just left me, but then it clicked in my head that she was just out age. it must've so hard for her. now...i'm just...relieved that my mother isn't a monster?"

maya smiled a little as paige looked as if she came to an eventual realisation, "oh."

"can i take a look at those?"

"yeah." paige hands the stack of papers over to the blonde.

"oh, the name she gave you was so pretty." maya gasped softly, "valentina paige. sorry, i shouldn't-"

"no, i actually love it. but i don't know, do i tell her i wanna change it back to that? it's also...weird. people are definitely gonna make fun of me for it."

"if you want to, definitely." maya answered, "i love those names. i also thought you looked nothing like jodie or your 'father'."

"maya!" she gasped, "seriously?!"

"sorry, bun. bad joke."

"i agree. i just ignored that- i looked nothing like any of my 'relatives'. now that i know, i can stop wondering if i was adopted and they just kept it from me."

"see? things turn out pretty alright in the end." maya said, "you're maybe overwhelmed from the look on your face. but one step at a time- jodie and everyone else related to her is gone from your life now. focus your energy on yourself- doing what makes you happy...y'know? stuff like that."

"you always know what to do." paige chuckles, "thank you, maya."

"glad i could help, bunny." maya caressed her knuckles comfortingly, "i'm glad it was rather good news."

"it is." paige heaves a sigh.

maya's eyes landed on the white paper bag on the desk, "hey, what's that?" paige went to get it and peeked inside, "oh, my god. she got me a phone?"

"ooh."

paige finds a note at the bottom on the bag. she reads off it, "tried to contact you recently but your number was disconnected. so thought it'd be nice for you to get an upgrade. i also got you a new number and data plan. sim card's already installed, just charge the phone. enjoy. see you soon, maybe."

"go on. just check it out." maya encouraged, "then give me a call or something so i can add this new number to my contacts and into the group chat."

paige giggled, "kay, i should probably charge it since it's not doing anything when i try to power it up."

"wow, life is weird..." maya mumbles to herself as she observes paige walking over to plug in her phone. 'this is a big piece of news...so why am i feeling so chill about it? was it because it just felt right? rosa's never lied to us. right?' paige got upset, that's for sure. and understandable. paige was shocked, and with the raised voice maya(and the rest) heard earlier, it was a given.