Sixty-One

[|]

"It's not what it looks like," I said, standing to my feet.

"Uh, I believe I am not blind," Maddy said, looking past me to Lucas before looking back at me.

"He was trying to get something out of my eyes," I lied and I heard Lucas chuckle behind me.

"With his mouth?" Maddy asked, a smile on her face. "Come on, Jackie. Have fun. You're weird. Look, I'm hungry and need food. Y'all got anything here?"

I smiled and went to the kitchen to make something from what was left over from our breakfast.

"Don't you have a home or money to eat?" Lucas asked from his spot on the couch and I held myself back from laughing.

These two were going to be chaotic if they become closer as friends.

"Wow, still a jerk as always. Tsk, Jackie hurry up, I'm hungry. I just came from the nail salon and need food," she whined like a child as she came to the kitchen.

As I put down a plate, my phone vibrated in my back pocket. I took it out and unlocked the device then opened the message. My heart sunk at the message.

Unknown: It's me, Tony. I need to talk to you. It's urgent. I have a lot to show you. Can we meet at the park?

I flinched when Maddy stood close to me and I felt like hiding my phone away from her but I needed them to know about Tony.

"Guys, I have something to tell you two," I said, getting their attention.

"What is it?" Lucas asked, standing up from the couch and approaching where I stood with Maddy.

I placed my phone on the counter and held the edges of it.

"You all know Tony, right?"

"Tony?" Maddy asked, confused.

"I don't."

I sighed. "Tony... The captain of the swim team in Redside High."

"Oh, Tony Alvarez. I know him. What happened to him?" Lucas asked.

"Remember the guy that was with me in that clothing store? The one that was holding me," I said and I saw realization cross their faces.

"He was the one?! That guy used to bully you in school!" Maddy sounded angry.

"Did he hurt you? Jackie, I swear to God, if you lied that he didn't, I won't be happy with you," Lucas said with a scowl on his face.

"No, he didn't. He was trying to tell me something. Something related to the assault incident that happened at your party. He wanted to tell me he knows who did it but couldn't. He even met me at the park recently and tried to tell me but I was too uncomfortable around him to listen, I still fear him a bit." I anxiously played with my fingers.

Lucas went around the counter and Maddy moved aside for him to come closer to me. He cupped my cheeks and made me look up at him. Worry was heavy in his eyes and I felt touched by it.

"If you don't feel comfortable around him or about anything he's doing, remember to inform the police or tell us. Jackie, you also need to start telling the people around you things. Hiding things for long will hurt not only you but us," Lucas said and I saw a point in his words.