Thirteen

[|]

I sighed in relief when Lucas grabbed his sister's hand and walked away. I didn't have the strength to deal with him and any complaints he might have about me selling the phone. I smiled and looked at the wads of hundred-dollar notes in my hands.

I put the money in my backpack and walked to the entrance of the mall. Just before I stepped out, I saw the boys from Lucas' party laughing and walking toward the mall. I started to walk back in fear as I didn't want anything happening to me. Flashes of that night came back with so much force that I began to hyperventilate.

When their eyes went to the revolving doors, I turned around and ran away, panting hard. Who knows what would happen if they saw me and cornered me in a store? I had to act fast and find a place to hide. I saw a coffee store and went into it then sat at a table that was away from the entrance of the place. I calmed my heavy breathing and ignored the looks the people close to my table were giving me.

"Oh, God!" I whispered out of fear when my phone rang in my backpack. I forced my heart to calm down before taking the phone out of my backpack.

It was Axel calling and I felt a huge relief wash over me. I swiped my finger on the screen, accepting the call then placed the phone to my ear.

"H-Hi?" I stuttered while my eyes darted around the place.

"Whoa. Are you okay? You sound as if you're in some sort of distress," he said.

I was about to tell him what happened, from the beginning but I stopped when I remembered they were brothers and I didn't know how close these two were or the type of mentality Axel had.

"I'm fine. I'm just a bit tired," I replied in a calmer voice.

"Okay. I'm at the mall now, I'm outside in the parking lot. Are you done? You can meet me where I parked before."

I brightened at his words then rose from my seat. I grabbed my backpack and walked to the glass door. I scanned the people walking back and forth then sighed when I saw no signs of those boys.

"I'll meet you outside," I said and ended the call. I pushed one side of the door and speedily walked to the exit.

Once I left the mall, I jogged my way to where I was sure Axel had parked and smiled when I saw him waving at me. I rushed over and stopped in front of him.

"Are you ready to leave?" He asked as he took my backpack.

"Yeah and—"

"Axel?!" A new voice startled me.

I looked over my shoulder and sighed in annoyance. Lucas and his sister were a few cars away from us. I stepped aside when Ruth ran to us and hugged her brother who chuckled.

"I miss you," she said.

I leaned on his car when Lucas approached us. Nervousness filled my body when the basketball player stood close to me, making me inhale his scent. Lucas tried to meet my eyes but I kept my gaze on my feet.

"You look so good in that cheer uniform," Ruth said and I looked up at her.

"Oh, thank you."

"I never knew you were on the cheerleading team at my brothers' school," she said and I made eye contact with Lucas when he scoffed.

"Why didn't you tell us you were around?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at Lucas' question aimed at his brother who scowled.

"It isn't any of your business," Axel retorted and grabbed my hand.

My eyes went to his warm hand holding mine before they moved to Lucas who was staring at our hands. I saw his jaw clench before he nodded and took Ruth by the arm. Lucas glared at me and walked away with his sister who was grumbling.

"Come on, let's go," Axel said and I faced him.

"Don't you live with them?"

"No. I stay with a friend. I moved out when I turned sixteen. That doesn't matter, let's take you home," Axel said and unlocked his car.

I glanced at Lucas one last time before boarding the car. I sat in silence, thinking about what was between the Hamilton brothers and how I got involved with both of them. I liked Axel but not like romantically. Plus, I felt a relief when I knew Axel wasn't close to Lucas, even though it was messed up. It made me believe that he was nothing like his manipulative brother, Lucas.

[|]

It was Friday and I could not wait for the weekend, even though I had nothing to do. All I had was my books to read and jobs to do to get money for my savings.

I shut my locker and turned around, only to jerk in fear when I almost bumped into Maddy and two other cheerleaders.

"Hey, Jackie," Maddy said with a blinding smile.

"Hi," I said.

"So, there will be a lot of practice today after school. We have a game tomorrow and you'll be cheering on your first game."

I blinked. "G-game? But, I haven't even practiced! I just joined the team and I don't want to embarrass the team."

Maddy giggled. "Calm down, silly. The moves consist of leg movements, claps, and little body movements. Also, the chants are pretty easy."

I rubbed my elbow with my hand in nervousness. I was a shy person and standing in front of spectators could make me pee my pants. How would I convince Maddy that I didn't want to join them and how did I not get informed of the game before now?

"I know what you're thinking and you will perform. It's a type of rite where a new cheerleader has to be on their first game. So, on the field after school. We can't use the court because the boys will be practicing," Maddy said and started walking away with the cheerleaders.

I stood with my mouth open in shock and my heart beating fast. The only thing I hoped for was that I did my best without embarrassing the school.

A/n:  Please, leave a comment and vote.