27 | Startled

"Everyone . . . *sniff* I'm looking forward to . . . hear your stories about the training camp." Mina dramatically cried in front of the class, along with the other three students who failed the exams.

You woke up from your random daydream, looking over at the noise. You see Midoriya trying his best to cheer up the four students, "Y-you don't know for sure. There might be some last-minute twist."

"Stop it, Midoriya. You're going to jinx it."

Your mouth held a silent "oh" as you finally understood what's with the commotion all about. Your eyes held pity as you stood up from your seat and walked to hug Mina.

However, before you could hug your best friend, Kaminari was complaining something as he dramatically lowered his voice and was about to jab Midoriya in the eyes with two of his fingers. Luckily you made it just in time as you held the blonde boy's wrist. His hand is inches away from poor Midoriya's face.

"Just accept that you failed the test and move on. Clam down, Kaminari. Don't blame it on Midoriya." You bluntly said, giving him that menacing glare like the one back at the festival.

Kaminari gulped and lowered his fingers. You released your grip on his wrist.

"Ah, [L/N]. T-there's no need to be harsh towards Kaminari. It's fine." Stuttered Midoriya, nervously trying to calm the situation.

You, however, ignored the human cinnamon roll and walked towards Mina. "My poor Mina, it's gonna be okay." You dramatically cried as you hugged your pink-haired bestie, caressing her fluffy pink hair as she started whining.

Both Midoriya and Kaminari looked at the [H/C] haired girl, how you were able to change your mood so quickly, and then they began to sweatdrop at the two overly dramatic girls.

"If you feel that bad about us, then bring back souvenirs!" Kaminari proceeded to complain yet again. Why does it tick him off when you hug Mina for comfort? Am I jealou-?

The classroom door opened with a loud bang, stopping the group of classmates and friends from what they were doing. "Once the bell rings, get in your seats." Aizawa gruffed from the doorway.

Quickly and comically, students started going back to their seats. They greet Mr. Aizawa in silence as he walks over to the podium. "As you may all know. Unfortunately, some students didn't pass the final exams. Accordingly, for the training camp in the woods, . . .Everyone is going!" He declared.

Four certain students stood from their seats in surprise, grateful for the generosity of the gods. You clasp your hands together in ecstasy at the news, mentally celebrating with them.

"We can go, too?!"

"Really?"

-*-

"A week of training camp, huh?" Iida said, holding up a specific page about the training camp in the school handbook guide.

"And we have a ton of things to bring with us." Added Midoriya as he leaned closer to the handbook. You looked at the two standing and chatting away about the upcoming summer camp. You shake your head and focus on organizing your stuff in your bag, and then you stop as you begin to stare at the notebooks as you dive into the deep abyss of your thoughts.

"You're such a liar, [L/N]."

"I wonder your dad committed suicide because he couldn't raise a cheater like you!"

'You're wrong. '

'He didn't die because of me.'

'Stop saying it's my fault.'

'Go away!'

'Go away!'

'Go away! Get out of my head!'

"[L/N]? Hey, [L/N]. Are you there?" A concerning voice called out to you. You blinked back to reality, lowkey hyperventilating as you looked up to whoever called you. Midoriya's face is inches away from yours, and he noticed your shaking eyes when you two held eye contact. "Hey, are you okay?" His tone turned soft as his face held major concern for you; others inside the classroom saw you two interacting.

"HUh? Oh. Y-yeah, I'm alright." You stuttered out a response, turning away from the green-haired boy. 'Too close. He's too close to me.'

Your heart began to beat at the thought, the same kind of palpitating beat when Kaminari did the same to you. You shook your head to calm down, 'Now's not the time for this.'

Midoriya noticed you moving your head away and realized that he was too close for your comfort. The boy blushed at his bold action, turning his head away from you.

"W-well, I was wondering ..." Midoriya started talking to you, dragging the word out as he gave space. "Do you want to come with us to the mall?"

You tilted your head in confusion, "The mall? Why?"

"O-oh, you see -" Midoriya got cut off by Hagakure,

Popping out of nowhere behind your back, "Class 1-A Shopping Get together!" She sang with excitement.

'What the fuck?! '

You backed away from the invisible girl, surprised at her outburst. You tripped on the edge of the leg of your chair, stumbling on your footing. Luckily, Midoriya was there to catch you; and as if in slow motion, he swiftly moved behind you and caught you before you could fall. Your back was softly pressed onto his chest, and his hands took hold of both your arms to keep you steady.

It's like it came out of a teen romantic movie or series.

You turned half of your body to face Midoriya, nose almost touching his. You two held eye contact, getting lost in his emerald eyes. Your body grew tense at the realization momentarily, and you gently pushed yourself off of Midoriya. Standing up straight, "Thanks for that." You coughed out loudly, forcing your cheeks not to heat up as you did so.

How cute! Hagakure thought as she saw the scene unfold.

You turn to face Hagakure fully. Mind still in the chaos of what had happened, but you managed to say, "So. The mall. Tomorrow.".

You force your eyes to stare at Hagakure, hoping to convince her that nothing is going on. But of course, it was tough to look into her eyes after what had happened. What are you talking about? You couldn't even see her face!

The invisible girl then replied with a hum while Midoriya waits for your answer. "Yeah, I'll be there." You said and smiled at them. Midoriya then began to glow in excitement, and he went to rush toward Todoroki to ask him the same question.

"Well, I can't wait for tomorrow. Bye [L/N]!" Hagakure said, fixing her bag on her back, her school sleeve waving goodbye to you as she exited the classroom.

You silently waved back to her and turned your attention back to your bag sitting on top of your table. Putting it on your back, you began to scan the whole classroom, searching for someone.

'Huh?'

You walk out of the classroom and see if they're waiting for you outside. Finding absolutely no familiar faces of your friend group.

"Did they just leave without me?" You said out loud, sweatdropped at your friends who forgot to walk to the train station as a whole squad.

"Nah, they must be waiting for me by the gate." You shrugged it off as you made your way downstairs to the locker rooms to change out of your school shoes.

After swapping out the shoes, you sighed and closed your locker door. "I guess they did forget about me." You said, looking at the empty front yard of the school with no sign of your friends.

Suddenly a monotone voice spoke up, "[L/N].".

You tensed at the deep voice behind you, chills comically spread from your back to your shoulders. Scaring you for the second time, your hand clutches your chest area while you turn to face the one who called you.