19 | The Necklace

"You're one of my parent's relatives?" You guessed before he could say anything. He jumped at what he had heard, "No, why would you think of that?" You just shrugged in response. His calm demeanor is once again gone.

'How ironic for a shinobi.'

"Well, mom chose your agency when I can't decide on my top 5 picks and told me to trust her. So I'm guessing she's close to you, or you're part of the family as my mom's or dad's cousin that they didn't tell me about." You explained, Edgeshot nodding his head as he listened.

"Well, close, but not quite." You look at him in confusion, fully looking at him as you get curious at what he's going to say. "I'm your godfather." He revealed bluntly. You move further back in your seat, shocked at the revelation. "Ehhh?"

"Wait a sec, how would you know it's me? I mean, there's a lot of people with the same surname as I." You asked, doubting the older male next to you. Edgeshot then calmly gestured his hands around his neck, "Your necklace. When the chief explains to you and your friends what you've accomplished, I notice your necklace on the bedside table. The same necklace he gifted to you."

"This pendant necklace is pretty common. How would you know?!"

He chuckled, "You know, [L/N]..." You quickly turned back to your neutral expression, listening attentively to him. "... your father had trouble picking the perfect color of the pendant, he kept saying, 'what if she doesn't suit the color' or 'she doesn't like it that she's going to abandon it. Your father is such a worrywart." You chuckle at the last sentence because it's the truth, soon laughing after you imagined him being anxious in picking the necklace.

Your laugh soon died down, and your eyes changed from joy to sadness, "I miss him." You admitted, looking at the floor. "I know, kid." Edgeshot puts his arm around your shoulder, side hugging as he comforts you. "He's like the older brother I never had."

-*-

"I have some unfinished business to take care of back at the agency," Edgeshot said, opening the door of the hospital room for you. "I'll call one of my sidekicks to assist if you need one, okay?" You nodded as you entered the room. Edgeshot smiled through his mask and shut the door behind him as he left.

You looked ahead and saw Midoriya and Iida back. However, the tension in the room seems to darken among the three. You went up to Midoriya, who's close to you, "Hey, what's going on here?"

"[L-L/N]!?!" The green-haired cinnamon roll exclaimed, quite shocked at your sudden appearance. You tilted your head to the side in confusion, 'Didn't he already hear me from the doorway?'

Midoriya blushes at the sight of you, finding your confused expression cute, then shakes his head to get back and fills you in about Iida's condition. Long-term damage on both of his arms, especially on his left. You stared at Iida in shock, mouth gaping as you tried to find a way to say reassuring words.

"I feel... kind of bad." Todoroki suddenly said, head staring down on the floor and his hands clenched into fists. You, Midoriya, and Iida turned their heads towards Todoroki. "Every time I get involved... I feel like it's my fault for messing up their hands. Am I cursed?" He bluntly says, bringing up one arm, and his heterochromatic eyes stare at his hand.

. . .

"Pfft." You try to stifle a laugh by moving your head to your shoulder. But you couldn't contain it anymore. You ended up bursting into laughter.

"[L/N]?!" Midoriya exclaimed in shock at the sudden laughter in a tense atmosphere.

"I'm sorry." You said, trying to contain your laughs but failed again. The two started laughing at your contagious laughter, while Todoroki just sat there unfazed and probably in confusion as to why you three found it funny.