twelve. // *newest edition*

A FEW WEEKS LATER...

A tearing sensation in Louis' lower back jolted him out of sleep. He winced sharply, clenching his eyes and, after taking a moment to regain his bearings, he tried kneading the pain away with the palm of his hand. When the pain subsided, Louis leaned back against the headboard and closed his eyes.

Minutes later, a stabbing pain tore along the inside of his abdomen. Louis gasped, sharply, and his eyes burst open. He took a deep breath and keeled forward. He exhaled, slowly, while trying to rock away the pain. Eventually, it faded, and Louis laid back down.

But it wasn't long before it happened again. This time, an intense pressure in Louis' lower back radiated to his groin. Louis groaned and threw his head back against the headboard. He inhaled, deeply, and puffed his cheeks. For a moment, he held his breath in his chest, until the pain was there but not as strong, then, closed his eyes and exhaled powerfully, rocking himself back and forth. He didn't need another hint; It was time.

Louis took another breath, in and out, and massaged his hands around his belly. He hung his feet over the side of the bed and then, took a moment to lean back on his fists as another contraction internally punched him. After the pain faded, Louis exhaled, sharply, and nodded then, hoisted himself off the bed and, slowly, shuffled himself out of the room. But he only made it a few feet when lightning stuck his lower back and sent him hurling into the dresser. Louis let out a distressing groan, as the corner of the dresser jabbed into his shoulder. He closed his eyes and threw his head back, taking a moment to compose himself. Then, he pushed himself off the dresser and balanced against it with one hand. As he went to take another step, Louis' eyes widened as a powerful gush of something cold and wet soaked his sweatpants. He closed his eyes and breathed, "Shit."

Out in the hallway, the rhythmic thumping of Harry's feet echoed through the hall as he ran in from the living room. The floorboards creaked loudly when he turned the corner into the bedroom. "Babe?!" he mumbled, mouthful of toothpaste. Louis was now leaning over the bureau, with his head leaning on his left arm. His right hand caressed his belly, and his legs shook, as if they were wet and naked in the middle of a blizzard. Harry's eyes widened and he pointed at Louis with his toothbrush, "What the hell is going on?"

"What's it look like?" Louis sassed, wincing sharply through gritted teeth. He moaned in his chest and clenched his eyes, taking a deep breath and exhaling through puffed up cheeks. He shook his head and rocked back and forth on his heals.

"Shit," Harry breathed, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. His heart pounded from his chest. He ran to Louis and put a hand on his shoulder, "You're in labor?" Louis glared at him sideways. Harry got the message and nodded. He went to take Louis' hand but, still holding his toothbrush, held up a finger instead then, hurried out of the room. Louis sighed and shook his head. He threw his head back and bit his lip, taking deep breaths through another contraction. Harry returned a moment later, carrying a pair of flip-flops and a zip-up sweatshirt. Louis smiled, warmly, through strained breaths, as Harry guided his arms into the sweater. Then, Harry knelt down and helped Louis' feet into the flip flops. When he stood back up, he let out a heavy but pleased sigh and rubbed his hand in circles on Louis' back. "Remember your breathing," he coached, kissing Louis' temple.

Louis nodded and began the breaths Chloe had taught him. Hee-hee, who-who. Hee-hee, who-who. Harry gave a prod smile and offered out his hand. Louis accepted. Then, he used Harry for balance as they hobbled out of the room. Reaching the doorway, Louis licked his lips and shook his head, "I wish I could apologize to my mum right now."

"You're doing great," Harry praised, rubbing Louis' back. He tightened his grip and supported Louis by the lower back, as they stepped through the doorway. Harry continued to coach down the hallway. "Relax and breathe, Hee-hee, who-who." Louis kept hold of Harry but used the wall as backup. With every step, he continued his breath. Hee-hee, who-who. Hee-hee. He stopped and fisted his hand against the wall, another contraction shooting into his groin. Louis bit his lip and keeled over against Harry. Harry held him up and massaged Louis' shoulders until this one passed. When Louis relaxed, he took a deep breath and propped himself up against the wall. Harry tilted his head and ran his hand up and down Louis' back. "You want to sit?"