ten. *mature* *newest edition*

A FEW WEEKS LATER...

HOOOONNNKKK!!!

Louis laid on his car horn until his ears rang. After a good long minute, he pulled his hand back, bringing silence to the world around him, and threw his hands up in defeat. "Come on!" he shouted, gesturing angrily at the stationary traffic in front of him. "Why are we stopped! It's two in the afternoon, why aren't you all home?! This is...ridiculous." He slammed one hand against the wheel and the other over his face, sighing deeply. He rested his elbow against the door, laying his head on his hand, and glanced up at the photo of him and Harry sticking out from the visor. He stared into Picture-Harry's eyes and scowled at him. "How did you forget the apple pie?" he asked with a shrug. "You knew your sister was coming to dinner for a whole week yet, somehow, you forget to buy the one thing you knew she'd want to eat."

Picture Harry said nothing and just smiled back at him. 

Louis rolled his eyes and sighed. As the traffic, slowly, let up he was still unsure how he'd ended up the one to run to the store. Nothing but sweatpants felt even remotely comfortable anymore. They didn't make wide enough Converse to fit over his swollen feet so he'd resorted to wearing a pair of Harry's old flip-flops (which he had to keep his fingers crossed they wouldn't bust apart every step he took either). And he hadn't been able to pull even a t-shirt over his baby bump since Harry had been sick, so he wasn't particularly keen about the over-sized sweatshirt Anne had given him. "Harry told me you haven't left the house in two weeks," she'd said when she offered him the sweatshirt last night. "It's the one I wore when I was pregnant with Harry so, I thought, you'd like it." Louis was sure he'd never wear it--no matter how sentimentally-perfect it was--but thanked her with a smile anyway. He was determined to stay shirtless until the babies came. Little did he know Harry would forget the apple pie. 

When he arrived at the store, Louis tried to get a space as close to the entrance as he could. He debated using one of the maternity parking spaces--because technically he could get away with it if anyone asked--but the thought of anyone asking made him quickly pull into the first row of spaces instead; he wasn't quite ready to handle the questions that would've followed taking one of those other spaces. Louis put the car in park then, glanced out the window. As he watched the swarm of people hustle and bustle their way in and out the front doors, his eyes burned, and a lump grew in his throat. His stomach hardened and his hands were sweaty. His neck felt hot and a sharp ringing, slowly, rose in his ears. He couldn't do this. 

MEANWHILE...

"No way, I don't believe you," Niall laughed, spreading melted peanut butter onto an empty diaper. 

"It's true," Harry nodded, aggressively stretching a pink balloon. He took in a sharp, deep breath then, lifted the balloon to his lips and blew out. The balloon expanded but barely filled up the entirety of his hand then, he pinched the top of the balloon with the fingers over his other hand and pulled it from his lips. "It's happened every time he's gone to the doctor," he continued, knotting the balloon in one swift motion. He let out a small cough--a residual from his recent cold--smiling, playfully, and batted the balloon to the other side of the room where it landed in a pile of pre-inflated pink and blue balloons. "Not that I can blame him though, Dr. Carter is really nice." 

"Nice...like in a 'he's a nice guy' sort of way?" Liam's voice teased from across the living room. He was sitting on the couch, balancing a present on his knees. He tilted a pair of scissors and ran the edge across a piece of pink ribbon. When the scissors reached the end of the ribbon it bounced back into an almost-perfect curl and then, Liam pointed to Harry with the scissors. "Or nice, as in... you wouldn't mind seeing what was under his lab coat?"