Chapter 1: Looking Forward To It (Hunter's POV)

Hunter held on to the mine cart tightly as it rode down the dark tunnel, the bird hot on his tail.

He had to do this, he didn't have a choice. If he couldn't get the Titan's blood, then he would have no excuse for leaving the castle. See, he was supposed to stay in the castle where it was safe and overly confining. Well, that didn't matter, all he had to do was get the blood and fly back to the castle.

He did feel a bit of guilt for ditching the blight back there. Well, she shouldn't have trusted him, it was her own fault. And plus, coven heads do it all the time so it was probably normal. The cart suddenly stopped and Hunter got off immediately to see... a dry lake?

That wasn't right, there had to be Titan's blood somewhere, right? But hunter knew deep down that it was hopeless to think like that. There was no Titan's blood, and he was as good as dead.

Well, he might as well be dead, then go back, right?

And so with that thought, he began to dig his own grave. By then, the stupid bird caught up to him and started watching him and tilting its head in confusion.

Hunter couldn't care less though. Who cared if a dumb bird stalked you? That was normal for any bird, right? The bird wasn't his palismen. That didn't matter anyway though, he was trying to die, right?

Rascal suddenly started pecking Hunter's head, looking for the reason his friend was digging.

"Go away bird, I'm trying to die right now," Hunter deadpanned.

This backfires, of course, as this only makes Rascal peck even more. Hunter would've said something again, but he heard footsteps behind him.

"Don't worry, I won't pick a fight, there's no titan blood," Hunter sighed, not caring who was behind him.

"Then why are you digging?" Amity asked.

"Oh, it's simple really, Belos needs Titan blood to make a new portal key! Can't get to the human realm without it!" Hunter admitted with a crazed look in his eyes.

Hunter heard the Blight mutter something but really couldn't care less.

"Since I failed my last mission I thought, 'Hey, a chance to make up for it!' But I can't go back empty handed!" He let out a short hysterical laugh before continuing, "Not again. Long story short, this is my grave! Want me to make you one too?"

Hunter turned toward Amity at the last part, spotting the Owl Lady's... dog thingy.

"This is really bumming me out," The dog thingy confessed.

"That's just life, rat. Everyone has a use, and if you don't," Hunter blew raspberry, "Bye bye! Your friend gets it."

The rat dog thingy started talking to the Blight about something that Hunter didn't really care about. Then again, what was the point of caring when you're about to die, right?

Hunter tried laying face down in the shallow hole he had created, but the stupid bird stopped him by pulling onto his cape.

"Hey!" Hunter yelled, waving at the bird, "Go find a better witch to be with..."

He heard the Blight walk towards him as Rascal finally left him alone.

"You know, you were right, we do have a lot in common. I grew up thinking that everything was an opportunity to justify existing, but there are people out there who won't make you feel worthless, you just... have to let yourself meet them," Amity said with a smile, reaching her hand out to him.

He looked at her and noticed Rascal perched on her shoulder, but then he noticed something else, the portal key! Did he really want it though? If he took the key, he would make the emperor proud, but if he took her hand, he would have a chance to start over, to run away from it all.

Hunter looked at the Blight one more time before he made his choice. Hunter took in a breath and grabbed her hand, but didn't move from the dirt. 

"Look, I know that we're kind of friends now, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna drag you out of the dirt," the Blight teased.

"I don't care, I want sleep," Hunter responded.

"I swear I'm gonna kill you one day," Amity sighed.

"Looking forward to it," Hunter joked.

And this time, he was actually joking.

Welcome back to all old readers from my first book and welcome to all my new readers! Well, I hope you enjoyed the chapter right? I gotta go now, I'm kinda on a time limit! Bye, my amazing readers!

- HelpMePlzImBeggin (June 6th, 2022)