Chapter 17: Folklore Or History?

Start from the beginning

"Folklore or actual history?" Loki raises an eyebrow, skeptically taking Olaf's book from his hand to inspect the cover. "A book about myths and folklore from the nine realms? You are looking at the wrong book." Loki chuckles.

"Despite being mostly folklore, part of this story holds some truth. My mother used to tell me about this, I was born in Vanaheim. Many children disappeared during the time Miss Hemming was born. She might possibly be one of them."

"How many were missing in total and how many were found? And are there any records of the children that are still missing?" 

"Yes, my Prince. Here you go." He presents Loki with the list of names. "A total of 49 children were missing, of whom 42 have been found."

Loki reads the list of names. The names and ranks of 49 children. Though 42 of them may have been found, 7 names at the bottom of the page stand out. 

--------------------------------------------
Commoners/Peasants:
Asbjorn Hallrson: Deceased
Genove Waridottir: Missing
Ingvar Haldorson: Missing
Sten Orvarson: Missing

Nobility:
Cynovia Ragnardottir, Countess: Missing
Leif Frodeson, Duke: Deceased

Royalty: 
Synnove Njorddottir, Princess: Deceased
--------------------------------------------

"The Princess." A sigh escapes Loki's lips. "Are you aware that her horse is located in our stables here on Asgard?"

"I wasn't aware?" Olaf replies, surprised.

"Vidar. That's his name." Loki pauses. "That was until Nova came to Asgard and the stubborn horse allowed her to ride him. She's the first one to be allowed to."

"That is incredible, your highness."

"I thought the same thing." Loki gets up from the chair, his brows furrowed.

He walks over to one of the bookcases and searches for a book about Vanaheim and the story of their missing princess. After finding the book, he flips through the pages, stopping at a portrait of the raven-haired King and his white-haired Queen.

"Queen Skadi and King Njord have three children, Princess Synnove, Prince Freyr, and Princess Freyja. Princess Synnove drowned after being taken from her mother's arms and dropped down the waterfall." Loki reads.

"Oh my. That's a terrible way to go. Poor princess, may her soul rest within the mighty gates of Valhalla." Loki continues reading as Olaf bends his head.

"Prince Freyr rules over Alfheim, while Princess Freyja resides in Vanaheim, helping her father rule the realm after their mother, Queen Skadi, died." Loki looks up from the page. "It doesn't even say how Queen Skadi died."

"Nobody knows how Queen Skadi died, my Prince." Olaf interrupts, "King Njord never made it public."

"Still, this feels like a dead end." In exhaustion, Loki sighs as he slams the book shut, rubbing his hand across his forehead. "Who were the other women on that list?"

"It might be better to resume tomorrow, my Prince? Neither of us works well when fatigued." Olaf suggests, waiting for Loki to respond.

"Yes, of course. Go rest. We may make progress yet ... Maybe in a few centuries or millennia." Loki murmurs under his breath.

"We will find out eventually." Olaf smiles and bows before Loki, and walks to the doors, exiting the library.

~~~~~~