Chapter 13

!! TWS: graphic mentions of blood and character death !!

It was morning, dew was sitting on the still grass, crisp cold but not too cold air filled the air of city Gazelle. Kaden had stayed up all night, paranoid about what would happen to him even if he closed his eyes for a minute. It didn't feel normal to just watch the city you lived in getting burnt down to the ground. How did he expect anyone to sleep after seeing that? He didn't understand. It happened so quickly he couldn't even process everything, still now. He felt it hard to believe that Selen had just snapped, just like that. Was it everything happening to her that made her snap? Dark cultivation magic? Did she finally reach insanity? Or had she already reached insanity before she even died? Did she truly mean to kill him? Time had passed, and people started to wake up, slowly, couple by couple. "Kaden, have you been awake since yesterday?" Blue looked over at Kaden who was staring out the window at something. Kaden stayed quiet, and didn't answer the question asked of him, but instead, he looked outside. When ghosts snap, their insanity goes haywire, and they start killing random people, in or out of their territory. Both Kaden and Blue noticed that there were several dead people out on the streets, and Eloise was staring at their bodies, with no expression, not even sadness. "We need to leave here- I know it's not safe," Blue said shakily as he turned over to look at Kaden. As soon as Blue said that, Eloise turned to look at the window. Kaden rushed to close the blinds. As they were trying to be fast to pack their things, Ambrose had finally woken up. "What the hell are you both doing..?" She said, looking at them. "Packing. It's not safe here, I know it isn't." Blue looked over at Ambrose, who was confused. "How?" "I'll explain later."

As they finished packing their things, they sneaked out of the house that was once empty, and will be empty again, and made a run for it for the other side of the docks, heading towards another city. "Why are you leaving so soon?" They stopped in their tracks when they heard a voice. As they turned around, they saw Eloise, holding what seemed like a large ax, but it didn't have any sign of getting dirty with blood from her last two victims. "Go, I'll catch up with you later-" Blue whispered to Kaden and Ambrose, but he knew that a later wouldn't be possible. Even if he did live. As he threw his things on the boat, while Ambrose and Kaden sat there, waiting and hoping Blue would come with them, but they also knew that not all of them could get out of this hell of a city without losing one. "Blue- you have to come with us you can't just leave us like this!" Kaden looked at Blue, who was standing in front of Eloise. Blue pushed the boat away from the dock with his leg, he gave a glare back to Ambrose and Kaden. Blue had always told himself if anyone had to sacrifice themselves to get the others out, he would be the person to do it. Kaden's eyes widened in horror. Just like that, a large hand, made up of dark cultivation magic and blood, had ripped through Blue's chest.  As the boat drifted away from the dock, Kaden and Ambrose stared in horror and guilt. After the hand was pulled out, a splatter of blood splattered onto the ground. And just like that, Eloise was gone. Was it even possible to have one day, without anyone who both Kaden and Ambrose cared about dying? As they drifted away further, they could barely see Blue's body laying stone cold on the ground. All both Ambrose and Kaden could do was just cry, they couldn't bring themselves to do anything more.

Hours had passed, and they still hadn't run into any city or small village. Just a river, and a forest surrounding both sides of the land near the river banks. Both of them were quiet, and didn't exchange any words, but they were still communicating. They both were tired. Both mentally and physically. They didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to him. Kaden stared blankly up at the sky, while Ambrose looked ahead of the boat. Nothing but water, land, and trees that stretched for miles.

 "I don't understand."

756 words

IM SORRYY FOR ANOTHER CHATECTER DEATH IM SORSURIHDFNDMN