Cassian swore again, his eyes practically attached to the ring.

    Rhys merely said, "Now you know That you can use your abilities to hunt our objects, and thus track the Book at the Summer Court."

    "You're a prick, Rhysand," Cassian said quietly.

    Rhys tucked his wings in behind him, "You'd do the same."

    Cassian shrugged irreverently, not disagreeing with that.

    I looked at the general, "I want to get back to training, and I want you to help me." I said strongly. No room for argument.

    Cassian's brows rose as if the notion was hard to believe. "You'll be calling me a prick pretty damn fast if we train. And I don't know anything about training humans—how breakable your bodies are. Were, I mean," he winced, "We'll figure it out.

    I would have objected. Said that I didn't need him to train me. No, I was quite alright in that department, I just needed to get back into the rhythm, but I stopped myself if only because of the fact I'd love to see Cassian's face when I throw him out of that ring. "I want Feyre to come, too." was all I deigned to say.

    My eyes flickered between the small velvet box on the table and Rhysand's nostalgic expression as he stared at it. "Have I proven myself yet?" I demanded.

    He picked up the ring, holding it up to the light before giving me a small nod, barely looking in my direction. "It was my mother's ring."

    That was all he needed to say to shut me up.

    I asked a bit more calmly, "How did it end up at the Weavers?" I asked as the gold embellishments of the ring glinting in the light drew my attention back to it.

    "My mother gave it to me as a keepsake, then took it back when I reached maturity—and gave it to the Weaver for safe keeping."

    "Why?" I questioned, the Weaver seemed like the last person someone should trust with an heirloom.

"So I wouldn't waste it."

    Right then. That was that. His mother seemed like a more sensitive topic and I didn't want to push it.

    I looked at the High Lord, I didn't even say a word before he hoisted me up from the chair and sent us soaring through the skies, we free fell for a moment before Rhys winnowed us to my bedroom, a hot bath already running. Thank the mother.  A bath sounded like Heaven.

    I staggered to it when Rhys spoke, "And what about training your other gifts?"

    I looked back at him as the billowing steam of the tub called me. "We both know we'd rip each other to shreds." I knew I needed the training, I was reckless with my magic today. But I also knew if I let Rhys train me he would be almost insufferable with his cockiness.

    "Oh, we most definitely will." he leaned against the bathing room threshold, a clear sign he didn't intend to leave any time soon. I was so desperate for the warmth of the tub that I very much contemplated just taking my clothes off and getting in right then and there. "But it wouldn't be fun otherwise. "Consider our training now officially part of your work requirements with me." he jerked his chin, "Go ahead—try and get past my shields."

    Was he serious? Did he literally not see the amount of magic I used today? I barely had enough strength to keep myself standing, let alone get past the mental barriers of a freaking High Lord.

    No way. Nada.

    I snorted, "Yeah, right. No way. And the bath will get cold, and I'd rather go back to the Weaver than let that happen."

    "I promise it'll be just as hot in a few moments. Ir, if you've mastered your gifts, you might be able to take care of that yourself."

    Fine, I'll bite. Damn pride.

    I took a step toward him. Two. He yielded a step, backing into the bedroom.

    "You feel it, don't you," He said, "Your power stalking under your skin, purring in your ear."

    "And if I do?"

A shrug. "I'm surprised Ianthe didn't carve you up on an altar to see what that power looks like inside you."

    I cringed, "Don't say her name. It might summon her." I faked a shudder for emphasis.

    Rhys grinned, "You're absolutely right." He seemed to be holding back an laugh, but that didn't last long. "I find the High Priestess to be a perversion of what they once were—once promised to be. Ianthe among the worst of them."

    I knew why I hated Ianthe, but why did he? "Why's that?"

    "Get past my shields and I'll show you." He taunted. I rolled my eyes, always an ulterior motive.

    But I was curious now. I let myself imagine that bond between us, that bridge that connected our minds to one another. And there was his mental shield at the other end. Black and solid, and impenetrable...for anyone else.

    He would be expecting an obvious attack, but I was never one for that. I approached his barrier.

    "Are you even trying?" Rhys challenged from some far-off place, but I wasn't listening. So focused on the sheer power of his barriers.

    I placed a mental hand on it, imbuing my power into that small touch. I didn't know if Rhys could feel what I was doing if he noticed, but I sent out my magic still. I willed my magic the open a small door in the barrier, so small and unnoticeable that even an experienced daemati would never come across it if it was left unrepaired—which it wouldn't be. My power melted the small part of Rhys's wall like molten metal.

    There was nothing beyond the door. Not yet, at least.

    Without warning, I stepped into Rhys's mind and made my presence known.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
A/N: tehehehehhe