Chapter 34: Mending Mikan

Me, Peko, and Nagito exchanged glances. 3 sets of eyes on Mikan, laying at the foot of the stairs, and yet...

No dead body announcement.

Confused, I called out. "Ummmm...Monokuma?"

Monokuma came out of Classroom 4-B. "What do you want? I'm trying to teach an empty classroom here!"

I gestured towards Mikan, still not moving on the floor. "Ummmm...dead body report? Three sets of eyes?"

Monokuma gasped, a hand going to his mouth. "Dead body? Where?"

He first glanced up the hallway behind him. Obviously seeing nothing, he walked towards us and looked down the hallway past Peko and Nagito. After that, he looked up the stairs, standing on Mikan's left hand in the process, but pretending not to notice.

Finally, he looked down at Mikan, pretending to suddenly realize she was there. His red eye glowed for several seconds as he stared at her, then went out.

"Huh, I don't see any dead bodies anywhere. Now QUIT WASTING MY TIME!!" Monokuma then returned to Classroom 4-B.

So... Mikan's not dead?

I looked down, and saw Mikan start to stir. Peko went to Mikan's side, while Nagito went to the Chemistry Room to look for any medicine that might be in there.

Peko managed to get Mikan to a seated position, while Mikan held her bruised head and spoke to her.

"What happen, Mikan? Did someone push you?"

"N-n-no. I came fr-from the Staff M-m-meeting Room." Mikan then closed her eyes and whispered a bit. "Mmmm-noooooo..."

Peko calmly continued. "Did something happen in there? What's inside?"

Mikan started to respond, but her stuttering was too complete. Neither of us could understand Mikan.

Nagito came back empty-handed, so I agreed to escort Mikan back to her room and monitor her, while Peko and Nagito headed towards the Staff Meeting Room.

I put my arm around Mikan's waist while she leaned against me, as I helped her down the flights of stairs, heading for her dorm room. I planned on checking for signs of a concussion, or any other signs of injury, but didn't really notice anything offhand.

I set her down at the entrance to her room, so she could unlock the door. We walked into her room, and she sat at the end of her bed. I asked her a few basic questions.

Yes, she knew her name. No, she didn't feel any fogginess or dizziness. Yes, she knew she was the Ultimate Nurse. No, no one pushed her down the stairs. Yes, she was running from someone or something.

I then took a small flashlight and did a quick test with her eyes, which she passed. I tried to get out of her what she was running from, but she was stuttering too much to understand. She also rejected any pain medication.

Satisfied for now, I sat next to Mikan and put my arm around her, letting her rest her head inside my shoulder. We didn't say anything for a while; I just wanted to make sure she was ok.

After about five or ten minutes like this, I stood up, planning on making something for dinner. Mikan gasped and flinched back, as if I had scolded her, and meekly said, "I-I'm sorry..."

I shook my head, hoping to reassure her, then held my hand open to help her to her feet. Mikan looked at my hand for a few moments, then realized what I was trying to do, and took my hand as I helped her up. Hoping to make feel better, I gave Mikan the white tights, as they look particularly good on nurses.

Mikan looked the white opaques over, then put her hand inside and opened her fingers, showing nothing but white fabric. Turning to me, she smiled and said, "I'm pr-pretty surprised you have something like this. B-But, for some reason, I...I feel closer to you! Thank you very much, Shurinku!"

I gave her a hug, and before I realized it, I kissed her forehead gently. I leaned back a bit as I realized what I did, and Mikan looked surprised too, but she didn't pull away from me. Instead, after the initial shock, I gazed into her eyes and kissed her again, on the lips. Mikan tightened her arms around my neck and pressed her chest into me, while my hands slid down her sides.

I finished the kiss, let go of Mikan, and told her, "I'm just happy you're ok. You're really important to all of us, and we don't hate you, alright?"

"Y-y-y-yes. I understand. Ok, be careful, Shurinku!"

"I will. I'm gonna go eat, then get to the bottom of what scared you this badly. You be careful, alright Mikan?"

Mikan nodded. I will. I'm s-sorry I fell down and scared you."

"It's alright, no need to apologize to me. I'll see you later."

I went to the Dining Hall and made myself some Chicken Broccoli Alfredo, and ate with Nagito, Peko, and Maki, filling them in on Mikan's situation, and my desire to get to the Staff Meeting Room to see what scared her like this.

Maki immediately spoke up. "You're not going alone," in a tone that clearly meant this was not an option.

Peko replied, "I agree with Maki. Someone should go up there with you. I don't mind joining you, if you wish."

Nagito spoke up next. "I know a lowly piece of recycled garbage like me shouldn't address someone like you, but I would be delighted in going with you! But..." Nagito trailed off. "I don't think all 4 of us going would be a great idea."

Maki nodded. "For once, I agree with Nagito. Only one of us should go, to avoid raising too much suspicion. So, who's going with you?"

Peko calmly replied, "I will abide by whoever you pick, and I'm sure the others will, too."

Crap...all 3 were volunteering, and Maki was right; I wasn't taking everyone but someone was coming with me.

But...who?