Chapter 22: Hope's Pendulum

I barely slept that night, wondering what Kokichi was trying to pull. Against my better judgement, I decided to sit in the Courtyard, by myself. I liked being outside by myself at night, and I sat where I could see the only entrance. Checking my E-Handbook, it was about 12:30am.

To my surprise, another person entered the courtyard not long after me. The figure had messy white hair, and a green coat with red boxes on the right shoulder. He had a large, almost insane smile on his face.

It was Nagito. But why was he up so late? And why was he in the Courtyard, of all places? Never mind that, I thought to myself. He's here now, and away from Kokichi. This may be the perfect time to get some answers.

I waved Nagito over, and he eagerly sat down, across from me, on the bench. Nagito looked surprised, but genuinely happy, to come sit with me. I figured I'd get to the point quickly with Nagito, before he went on a "hope rant".

"Do you know anything about what Kokichi's planning?" I asked, insinuating that I knew he was up to something.

Nagito nodded. "Yeah, but we must be quiet about it." He tilted his head slightly towards the security camera in the corner.

Taking the hint, I leaned in a bit and kept my voice down. "Kokichi told me he saw a long-haired individual go underneath the fountain after the last Class Trial. Do you know anything about this, or is this another of Kokichi's lies?"

Nagito nodded. "Kokichi mentioned them to me before, but neither of us know much else. Why, are you waiting for them?"

"No. I don't even know who they are. I just know that they must know something about what's going on here...assuming this person exists at all, of course."

I decided to change subjects. "Anyway, what have you and Kokichi been up to lately? I see you two hanging out a lot."

Nagito's eyes lit up. "Oh, we're working on a plan to get everyone out of here! A plan befitting of the Ultimate Supreme Leader himself! Why, even a lowlife piece of scum like me plays a critical role in this!"

Intrigued, I decided to inquire further, and Nagito eagerly obliged.

"Well, I don't know all the details yet, but Kokichi said that I'm the PERFECT person to help get everyone out of here! Imagine, me, a worthless, lowlife piece of trash, actually NEEDED by an Ultimate like him! For that, I'm willing to do anything needed of me, even die, if it means bringing the hope of escape to every Ultimate trapped here!"

I closed my eyes tightly, then blinked a few times. I was POSITIVE I heard him incorrectly. He didn't just say he was planning on dying to save everyone...did he?

Deciding for myself that asking Nagito to clarify himself was gonna be nothing but trouble, I decided against prying any further, but definitely made a mental note of that statement. Kokichi and Nagito were obviously plotting something, and Kokichi was gonna use Nagito to do it...but what? Even Nagito didn't seem to know the answer to that.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Monokuma showed up. He looked between the two of us, then asked,

"What are you two up to, out here in the middle of the night?"

Nagito put his hands up apologetically. "Oh, I'm sorry, Monokuma. I didn't realize I was breaking a school rule by being out here."

Monokuma turned to face Nagito. "Well, technically, you're not, but I had a bad feeling about this meeting, so I decided to show up and address it myself!"

I decided to address Monokuma. "Me and Nagito are just having a little chat. I'm having trouble sleeping, and I had no idea Nagito was even awake, let alone headed here."

Monokuma looked over at me. "I wasn't talking to you, Shurinku. I was talking to Nagito, who STILL hasn't answered my question. Why are you out here in the middle of the night?"

Nagito stood up and backed away from Monokuma. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone. I just wanted to come out here for a while. If that's a problem, I can take my worthless self straight to bed."

Monokuma shook his head, then replied, "Nah, what you do is your business. I don't care where you go, when you go there, or who you talk to when you get there. However..." Monokuma's red slitted eye started glowing. "I WILL NOT tolerate any attempt at sabotaging or undermining any school rules! Is that understood?"

Nagito nodded, looking down. "Of course, Monokuma. I'm sorry a lowly chunk of pond scum like me caused you trouble. May I take my leave now?"

Monokuma put his hand to his chin, thinking. "Yeah, sure, why not. You haven't, technically, broken any rules, YET, so I can't really do anything here anyway. Remember, no sleeping in the courtyard! That's considered sleeping in class, and I'll make sure you NEVER wake up if you do!"

Monokuma then disappeared, like he always seemed to do. I looked over at Nagito, who was already headed out of the courtyard. I decided not to pursue him any further, and took myself to bed instead.

I woke up to Monokuma's daily 7am alert, informing us that Nighttime was over. I got up, took a shower, and then got dressed. I put my white socks and black sneakers on, and tied my light grey shoelaces. I then put on a clean pair of black cargo shorts, and put my E-Handbook into the pocket. I then put on my dark grey button-up shirt, and folded down the black collar before buttoning up the black buttons. I took a quick look in the mirror, to make sure my hair was in proper order and that I didn't misalign any buttons on my shirt.

Monokuma's voice came over the monitor. "Sorry to interrupt anyone's breakfast plans, but I've got 3 sets of eyes on a dead body, on the third floor. Everyone report to the Shop Room, NOW!"

My stomach sank, and I had an awful feeling in my gut that I knew who was dead. I hurried out the door, and ran up the stairs as fast I could. I barely even remember passing the second floor, only that I nearly ran over Peko on the stairs. I made it up to the third floor, hooked a left, and ran all the way to the Shop Room door.

Maki and Mikan were kneeling over someone, and Akane was nearby, looking upset. The person's feet were facing me, and there was a small, dried-up pool of blood coming from the head. It was a girl, judging from her skirt, and she had on pink and blue, torn-up stockings...

No. Oh, no. Not Ibuki...Dammit!

I felt something in my soul. Whoever had cast the vote for Ibuki during the last Class Trial, when Miu was executed...that person finally got their revenge. Ibuki was dead, and we were all gonna be forced into yet another Class Trial, to find the killer among us.