Chapter 23: Third Murder Investigation

Everyone met up at the Shop Room, and Monokuma sent each of us the Monokuma file. Opening it up in my E-Handbook, I quickly found and opened it.

"The victim is Ibuki Mioda. Estimated time of death is around 12:45am. Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the left side of the head. There is also a bruise on Ibuki's left forearm. There are no other notable injuries on the body."

Monokuma continued to look at all of us. "Ok now, you know the rules. Investigate, then I'll call you all to the Courtroom for the Class Trial. Don't dawdle; your lives depend on this, as always!" Monokuma then disappeared from existence, as he always seemed to do.

Byakuya took one look at Ibuki, then scoffed and walked off. Mikan continued to investigate Ibuki's body, while Maki and Peko guarded the scene. Kokichi and Nagito left together, while Kazuichi headed off, by himself. Akane and Hina paired up, as they always did. That left me with Kirumi, who stood in front of me, expectantly.

Remembering Kirumi's demeanor, I figured I should address her first. "Kirumi, would you like to accompany me in this investigation?"

Kirumi tilted her head at me. "If that is a request, I shall accept it. I would be happy to accompany you, Shurinku."

I nodded in acceptance, then asked Kirumi, "Have you noticed anything so far about...this?" I gestured, sadly, at Ibuki's dead body.

Kirumi glanced sadly at Ibuki's body, then nodded. "There is the smell of cleaning supplies around her, on the floor. I doubt she was killed here."

I nodded in agreement. "Do you think you can trace this smell?"

Kirumi shook her head sadly. "I only smell it around Ibuki's body. I do not smell this cleaner outside, in the hallways."

I began thinking. Kirumi mentioned Ibuki smelled of cleaning supplies, and doubted that she was killed in the Shop Room. Estimated time of death was 12:45am, which meant both me and Nagito have alibis, as we were speaking to one another in the Courtyard. I doubted Mikan had the strength to do this kind of blunt force damage to Ibuki.

Kirumi spoke next. "If it pleases you, I wish to check out the Kitchen, as that is where most of the cleaning supplies are kept."

I nodded. "That's fine. I have a room I'd like to check out, myself. We can meet up back here, at the crime scene, if time permits."

Kirumi curtsied, then started walking towards the stairs. Meanwhile, I went right next door, to the Music Room. I knew Ibuki spent a lot of time in there, and had a feeling I would find something useful there.

I headed downstairs, made a left at the base of the stairs, then made a right in front of the Biology Room. I noticed Byakuya inside, looking through various tools, but decided not to bother him. The clock was ticking, after all, and I could find out what he was doing later on, during the Class Trial.

When I reached the Music Room, I immediately noticed things were different in there. Specifically, there was a bass guitar slid against a corner of the room. When I examined it, I noticed a good-sized crack along the back of the guitar, and the neck of the guitar was broken almost halfway down, with only the strings holding the two halves together. I made it a point to memorize this guitar, but decided to keep quiet about it until I had to reveal its existence.

Satisfied that no other part of the room was too involved in this murder, I headed back up the stairs. I only got halfway up, though, and Monokuma's announcement came on. "Alright everybody, time's up! Time to head to the Courtroom for the next Class Trial! Everyone meet at the usual spot, on the double!"

Crap. I didn't have time to ask Byakuya why he was in the Biology Room, or what Kirumi had discovered in the Kitchen. I'd have to wait until the Class Trial, and see if it matched up with my working theory.

We all met silently at the fountain, which did its usual transformation. Everyone stepped silently into the elevator, with Kokichi and Nagito exchanging looks, and Nagito giving Kokichi a nod.

Another Class Trial awaited us. Was my theory correct, or no? And, if so, who refused to accept that Ibuki was innocent, and stained their hands with her blood?

We would all get our answers soon, and in truth, we all should've seen this coming.