Chapter 9: SodaMiu, Interrupted

I woke up the next morning to Monokuma's morning announcement, him sounding as cheerful as always. I opened my closet, picked out one of the uniforms that all looked exactly the same, and put them on. White socks, then my dark grey button-up shirt went on next. I folded down the black collar and buttoned my shirt up, then grabbed the black cargo shorts. I put them on next, putting my E-Handbook, notepad, and pen inside the pockets. I went into the bathroom and brushed my hair straight back, parting it on the right side as I always do. Taking a deep breath, I walked out of my bathroom, only to hear my doorbell ring.

Not expecting company, I opened the door, and found Soda standing there, a puzzled look on his face. Wondering if perhaps he was lost, I opened the door for him.

"Hey, Shuri, can I talk to you after breakfast? I gotta few questions for you, if you don't mind."

"Eh, sure, why not? We haven't had much of a chance to talk anyway." Soda agreed, then left my doorway.

Kirumi made some blueberry waffles with blueberry syrup, which definitely hit the spot, then I headed over to the School Store. Scanning my E-Handbook twice, I got a screwdriver with interchangeable heads, and a portable battery charger. Unsure who stocked this vending machine, and why they chose what they chose, I stuck the items into my lower left pocket, then headed out, noticing Soda heading towards Classroom 1-C.

I met Soda inside, and decided to let Soda start things off. I sat down at the teacher's desk, while Soda leaned against a corner of the room, near the electronic chalkboard.

"So, Shuri, can I ask you a favor?" Soda looked kinda nervous, but I couldn't really pick up on what. I wished I knew him better, but all I knew of Soda was that he was the Ultimate Mechanic, he wasn't arrogant or annoying, and that he seemed to have a crush on Miu, always pairing up with her.

I nodded. "Sure, Soda, what's up?"

"Actually, it's Kazuichi. Soda's my last name, but...y'know what? Never mind. Anyway, I've got a question about Miu. I'm kinda into blondes, and we've both got an interest in building things. You think I could hook up with her? There's nothing against that in the rules, y'know."

"Ummmm..." I thought for a moment, analyzing both Soda's and Miu's personality in my mind. "I think you would hit things off with her, but I can see her pulling away from you. I'd advise against it; I feel like you'd both regret it in the long run."

Soda's eyes dropped. "Man, I was hoping you'd say we'd live happily ever after."

"Sorry, I just don't see you two surviving a relationship together."

Soda looked very disappointed, but dropped the subject, to my relief. "So, anyway, I've been working with Miu on some projects, including some upgrades and additions on Keebo. Between my mechanical skills and her creativity, I think we can make something useful together to get out of this place, all of us!"

I nodded, but held little faith in his words. "Well, best of luck on that, but I'd keep that on the down-low until you've actually made it..." I glanced over at the security camera, then back at Soda. "Anyway, I'm gonna spend some time in the courtyard. Let Miu know I need to talk to her, later this afternoon. I might need her to make something for me, and if I do, I'll have you help her. I just gotta work out some details, alright?" I actually wanted to speak to Miu to gather more information on her, but I felt that Soda would get jealous or angry if I outright said that, so I chose to appeal to his mechanical ego instead.

Soda nodded again. "Sure thing. Just don't..."

Just then, Miu barged in on us. "Ah-hahaha! Are you two dudes circle-jerking each other, waiting for me to show up?"

I sighed, expecting something other than a smartass perverted comment, and being mildly disappointed. "Nope, but I did actually want to talk to you too, Miu."

Soda commented, "Hey, I'm gonna get something to drink and tinker with some stuff."

"Hey, Soda, before you go!" I intercepted him and pulled out the screwdriver with interchangeable heads. "Here, this may be more useful for you than it is for me."

Soda's eyes lit up. "Huh? Really? You're seriously giving me this? Ooooh, I'm getting really excited!" He took the screwdriver from me and immediately started looking at the different heads. "Phillips, Flathead, 6-Star, Hexagonal...huh, even a small drill bit! Seriously, thanks!" Soda then ran out of the room, clearly excited with his new gift. I didn't really learn anything new about Soda himself, but the fact that him and Miu are working together to improve Keebo was heartening.

Miu turned to look at Soda as he exited. "Wow, never saw a guy get so excited about heads before! Trust me, I've seen my fair share of heads. Hah-hahaha!" Soda either didn't hear her, or didn't care, as he didn't even slow down as he left the room.

"Anyway...So, Miu, I've noticed you've been hanging out with Soda for a while now. Working on anything together?"

"Yeah, Kaz and I have been working on upgrades to Keebo. I'm gonna build him into something that's actually fuckin' useful! Not that all of his current additions aren't useful, but still!"

"Nice! I'm interested to see exactly what you and him come up with, as long as Keebo approves, of course."

"Yeah, Keebo's newest upgrade is like his knob. He needs to figure out how to use it before he talks about it! Ha-hahaha!" Miu seemed proud of her insult, but I mentally rolled my eyes. Miu's heavy into innuendos. Noted.

"So, Shuridiot, what else did you want from the gorgeous girl genius with the golden brains?" Miu continued.

A thought quickly flashed in my mind, and I changed gears on Miu. "Shuridiot? So we're moving on to insults now, eh? Are you SURE you wanna go down that road with me?" I shot her a warning look.

Miu's expression changed suddenly, from a smartass, arrogant woman into a scared little girl. "Wh-why are you yelling at me?"

"Call it part of my therapy sessions. I have to learn who I'm speaking with, so I have to use different emotions to understand my clients better. For example, you come across as a haughty bitch, but when push comes to shove, you crumble under pressure. You seem scared of other people being mad at you, but you have no problem being haughty and lewd. Am I incorrect, Miu?"

Miu swallowed, but couldn't reply, just moving her lips in an attempt to speak. Satisfied that Miu wasn't just a full-on insufferable bitch, I backed away from her and relaxed my demeanor. "Anyway, I'm gonna get some lunch, but before I go, I want to give you something." I handed her the portable battery charger.

"Hey now! The fuck is this?" Miu looked it over. "Huh, can charge any type of battery, anywhere, and plugs into a wall to recharge itself. Hmmmm...any type of battery..." Miu became lost in thought, then started giggling. "You want me to use this on my toys, don't you? Don't you?!"

I shrugged. "I don't really care what you use it on. I just thought you could put it to better use than I could. Also, drop the "Shuridiot" thing. It makes you sound stupid."

Ignoring my last comment, Miu started to say something, but was cut off by Hina barging into the room.

"Guys! Guys! Come quick!" Hina seemed panicked, and I didn't like the scared look in her eyes. "Taka's been knocked out in the hallway! He's been bloodied!"

Paying no more attention to Miu, I followed Hina into the dorms, past the Dining Hall and Trash Rooms, and made a right at the intersection. We made a left at the next intersection, where I saw Mikan kneeling next to Taka.

Taka's head was busted open, and there was a small bloodstain on the wall, smearing down to the back of his head. The look on Mikan's face said it all, but she said what I already figured out.

"T-T-Taka's not unconscious. He...He's dead. I-I-I'm sorry!"

Just then, the intercom in the hallway flashed to Monokuma's face. "Alright, we've got 3 sets of eyes on a dead body. Everyone meet up in front of Taka's dorm room, now! It's investigation time!"

My stomach sank. Taka, who acted as a sort of ringleader, was now dead, which means one of us killed him. Someone was trying to use this murder to try to escape with their lives, at the cost of our own.

But who?