Chapter 10: First Murder Investigation

Shortly after everyone arrived, Monokuma appeared out of nowhere, and immediately started talking to us. Looking at my E-Handbook, it was about 12:30pm.

"Now, now, before you all start up on me, I've got a few announcements to make. First of all, no, I did NOT kill Taka. He did not violate any rules, so I wasn't allowed to. Second, yes, that means one of YOU did it! Third, no, that person is not leaving scot-free, just yet. We still have an investigation and trial to commence first!"

Byakuya spoke up. "So we all get time to investigate each other, gather clues, and anything else, right? And how much time do we get?"

Monokuma answered. "Yes to the first question! After all, how can I expect a proper trial if there's no evidence collected? As for the second question...eh, until I get bored. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll have enough time to do whatever you need to do. But first..."

Everyone's E-Handbook went off at the same time.

"Here's your first piece of evidence: The Monokuma File! It has basic information about this case, usually stuff like the time of death, cause of death, and any other tidbits. And NO, the killer is obviously not listed there! You have to figure that out yourself! Now, get to it, the clock's ticking!"

Monokuma then disappeared, leaving us in the hallway with Taka's murder scene before us.

Opening my E-Handbook, I read the file called "Taka's Autopsy Report". A list appeared on my screen. I opened the file, and read the contents within.

"Victim: Kiyotaka Ishimaru. The time of death was approximately 11am. Cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head. A second injury, to the other side of the head, was also present. There are no other external injuries."

So Taka died from a blow to the head, but there were 2 head injuries, and it's not specified which blow killed him. Nice...

I quickly looked over the scene. Taka was laid on his back, likely by Mikan. His nose appeared broken, and one eye was badly bruised. Blood ran down the bottom half of his face, likely from his broken nose. Looking at the wall next to his door, there was a blood splatter, then a smear going down the wall. He was definitely killed here, but I saw no murder weapon nearby.

Byakuya spoke up, with the same idea I had. "Before everyone starts making pointless accusations, I have a request. We should have 2 people guard the body and the crime scene, so that no one tampers with anything."

Peko stepped up. "I'll guard the scene with Mikan then, while she examines the body."

Maki responded, "Mikan won't be able to watch you while she's examining him. I'll stand guard, too."

Peko regarded Maki coolly, then nodded. "That is acceptable."

"Alright, so Peko and Maki will stand guard, while Mikan continues doing her thing. Rest of us need to split up, start searching, and share anything you might know about this," I declared, mentally wincing at how much I just sounded like poor Taka.

Ibuki decided to tag along with me, as did Keebo. We first headed into Taka's room, which Monokuma unlocked for the investigation. Keebo scanned the entire room, but found nothing of note, and I found nothing either. Ibuki mentioned that Gonta always hung out with Taka, and that Gonta told her he was learning how to be a gentleman from Taka.

We next turned our attention to the trash room. Of course, the camera took our picture as we walked in. We checked out the camera along the left side, and only one recent picture came up. It was of Peko, sword partially drawn, entering the building, looking towards the far left corner of the room. The timestamp read 12:20pm, which fell between Taka's death and his announcement. Why would Peko be in the Trash Room, and why would she feel the need to be drawing her sword? I'd have to ask her that later.

Keebo noticed nothing in the incinerator, and using his upgrades, determined that it had not been turned on today. As for Ibuki, she saw nothing unusual or unaccounted for in the trash. Whatever Peko was doing in here, it didn't appear to be disposing evidence. Either way, I still needed to ask Peko about it.

We checked out the Game Room, but saw nothing of note, so we decided to split up and check out the three classrooms. Ibuki wanted Classroom C, and I picked Classroom A, so Keebo got Classroom B.

Heading into Classroom A, I saw a brute of a man sitting at the teacher's desk, quietly sobbing. It was Gonta, no doubt.

"Gonta? Why are you crying in here?" I asked cautiously, not getting too close to him.

Gonta looked up, tears streaming down his cheeks. "Gonta...Idiot."

I slowly entered the room, maintaining eye contact with the sulking mammoth. "Ummm...Gonta? Can you be more specific?"

Gonta closed his eyes and nodded. "Gonta gentleman, and gentlemen no lie to people. Gonta and Taka have argument earlier today. Taka say gentlemen no talk about liking bugs, and say Gonta's grammar all wrong." Gonta took a deep breath, then continued. "Gonta get mad, and punch Taka. In front of Taka's dorm, right in face! Taka fly backward, hit head on wall. Gonta then walk away angry. No see Taka after that."

So Gonta and Taka had an argument, and Gonta punched Taka...uh oh.

Gonta continued. "But Gonta no kill Taka. Gonta swear it! Someone else must have killed Taka!"

I nodded. "Gonta, this doesn't look good, you know, but I can't see you as a murderer. I need to talk to a few others before the trial, so I'll leave you be. Thank you, though." I walked out of the room before he could respond, needing to find Peko and Mikan again. Fortunately, I knew exactly where they both were.

Returning to the crime scene, Mikan looked up. "I determined which blow killed T-Taka. It was the blow to th-the back of his head. The injury to his face only broke his nose, but the one to the back of his head cause a brain hemorrhage. Taka likely died instantly from that."

I thanked Mikan, then turned my attention to Peko. "Why were you in the Trash Room after Taka was murdered?"

Peko turned to face me. "You likely looked through the camera feed, so there is no use lying to you. I came across Taka's body at 12:15pm. I immediately contacted Mikan, who was in her dorm, and had her look over Taka. I then went to the Trash Room, drawing my weapon, in case the murderer was trying to erase evidence. However. I found nothing. The incinerator was cold, and only empty boxes were in the compactor. Whoever murdered Taka, I have not found the weapon that ended his life."

I took a deep breath, not wanting to ask the question I had to ask. "Peko...YOU didn't kill Taka, did you? Your bamboo sword..."

Peko cut me off by drawing her bamboo sword out, then held it horizontally to the ground before her. "There is no blood on my sword, and the bamboo is dry. Bamboo takes a very long time to dry once wet, so I could not have washed it off."

"How many minutes would you say it would take to dry?" I asked.

Peko chuckled, in spite of herself. "Minutes? You meant hours, right?"

Maki spoke up. "I can back her claim. Bamboo can take a minimum of 6 weeks to dry out when wet, as it holds moisture almost as well as cotton does. Air drying in this short amount of time would be impossible."

I nodded, satisfied with Peko's and Maki's responses, but that still left us without a murder weapon.

Suddenly, a chime went off, and Monokuma's face appeared on the monitors. "Alright, time's up. Everyone head to the courtyard in front of the fountain. It's time for the Class Trial!"

Shit! Time's up for investigating?! I hope the others found something useful, as I had not yet gotten to search everything. Nodding to myself, I accompanied Maki, Peko, and Mikan silently to the courtyard, and met with the others. After everyone arrived, the fountain suddenly dried up, and the fountain bowl dropped below the surface, revealing a staircase underneath and behind it.

Monokuma appeared. "Alright everyone, down the stairs we go! The elevator is just below, and it will take you all to the Class Trial Room!"

We all silently walked down the stairs, then got into the elevator. After what seemed like an eternity, the elevator stopped, and we all stepped out of it, staring out into a courtroom with a big round table at its center. At what would normally be the Judge's seat, Monokuma sat, staring at us.

I dreaded every moment of this, and it was only going to get worse.