|53| Fear 🟥

The second Nathalie walked into the Survey Corps HQ, she found Erwin, Miche and Levi by the door. All three of them seemed stressed and in a hurry, and for a second, Nathalie couldn't really tell way. But when they saw her, they all seemed to calm down.

"Thank the fucking Walls," Miche sighed in relief and buried his face in his hands.

"Why the urgency? What's going on?" Nathalie asked confusedly.

"What are you doing out on your own?! Where were you?!" Levi caught both her shoulders and shook her body slightly.

"I- I was just... visiting my parents at the cemetery. What's wrong?" Nathalie repeated her question. Levi's hold was tight around her shoulders. For a second, they were actually scared that the MPs had gotten to her. She hadn't returned with Hange and Moblit when they got back. They thought they had gotten her.

"Word's gone out," Erwin got between her and Levi, conveniently pushing Levi away from her. He couldn't tell why, but he couldn't stand the sight Levi – a man who had already been with her – touching her in any way. But that didn't matter now. "The MPs know who you are and what you are, and what you know,"

"They're out for you. We can't have you wonder around alone," Levi said, and Nathalie scoffed.

"I am a veteran of the Scout Regiment. I can handle myself," Nathalie said.

"I am certain you can," Erwin said with a small smirk. "But they are many, and you are important. Which is why the only person I can entrust to keep you safe is Levi," Erwin sighed. He hated this, but it was the only way. "You and Levi will leave tonight, and you are to stay with the Special Operations Squad until further notice,"

No. There was no way she was going to leave. She wanted to stay. She knew what Erwin was planning to do. It was an insane, risky plan and she had tried to talk him out of it. But now he was sending her away. Nathalie had followed every single order he had given her so far, but there was no way she could follow this one. No. There was no way she was going to leave him now. Erwin was going to die if she wasn't there to keep that from happening.

"No! I'm not going anywhere!"

"Nat, it's the only way-" Levi tried to touch her, but she slapped his hand away and took a step back away from him. His eyes widened at her reaction. She had never done that to him, and he never thought she ever would. Nathalie parted her lips to speak, but she groaned instead. She already had a soldier looking after her. She didn't necessarily have to go with Levi.

She wanted to stay and make sure that Erwin wasn't going to try anything too stupid. But she never planned to tell them about Zeke. She never planned to tell them about Marley and the deal she had made with them, and the fact that whatever happened, she would keep her end of the deal. She didn't know what Erwin was planning to do. How he was planning to use her against Marley, but he didn't know that Marley would ignore their two thousand years of hatred and would actually accept all Eldians that would get treated by the vaccine that she was planning to make.

"There's something I need to tell you all, but I can't do it here,"

They were still at the doorstep of the Survey Corps HQ building and Erwin nodded. "My office,"

And once all four of them entered Erwin's office Nathalie sighed heavily. A clear sign that whatever she was about to say, she wasn't planning to say it in the first place.

"Marley has sent a soldier to look after me. I do not deem it necessary for Levi to do it as well whilst he already has his hands full with Historia and Eren," Nathalie said.

"A soldier? Who? Where is he?" Miche arched an eyebrow. "Have you met?"

"I don't think he plans on meeting any of you, but yes, I know him. He's a skilled man," Nathalie said.