|15| The Price of Knowledge

"Rurik Dietrichson, accused of five murders and six assaults on below fifteen-year-old children," Moblit read down on the papers that Erwin had handed him, and he cringed mentally.

"Erwin found quite the scum for our experiment," Hange snickered rubbing her hands together impatiently.

"At least now I don't have much guilt after knowing I'll be turning that man into a titan indefinitely... possibly," Nathalie held tightly the small suitcase in her fingers as the three of them walked towards the Survey Corps training grounds. She really hoped this was going to work. The titan spinal fluid should be able to turn him into a titan.

"Let's go through the experiment again," Moblit snapped closed the black leather folder that he had been holding. "I slice his neck, we wait five minutes till he's on the brink of death, and then Nat injects him with the TSF," He repeated.

"Exactly. According to our theories, TSF will heal all injuries and bring him back to life, and it will turn him into a titan," Nathalie said.

"I got my babies ready to restrain the titan," Hange snickered excitedly. A new invention of hers, designed just for titans to keep them restrained. She was about to get a titan test subject. This was the moment that she had been waiting for her entire life.

"Just make sure to jump away the moment I inject him with the liquid," Nathalie reminded her. She knew how reckless Hange could be. She didn't care about her wellbeing especially when it came to discoveries and science and Nathalie greatly related to that.

"You know she won't," Moblit rolled his eyes. "I'll carry her out of the way, no worries,"

"DON'T YOU DARE! I WANNA SEE HOW HE TURNS!"

"Relax, I'll just have to... get a few more information from my ancestors," Nathalie sighed heavily.

"Yeah, which will result in you worsening the state of your health which as a Section Commander, I do not approve," Hange frowned.

"I could be a Section Commander too, you know,"

"But you chose not to be though,"

Nathalie sighed heavily. Exactly, she had tossed it away. She didn't care about climbing the ranks. All she cared about was her research even though it was killing her. But if today's experiment was successful, she'd make another step closer to creating a cure for herself. She could figure this out, she knew she could. She knew the TSF could turn an Eldian into a titan, but what about a normal human?

Wait, what are Eldians? Is there a difference between Eldians and normal humans? Nathalie stopped walking and she realised Hange and Moblit had moved far ahead. But she didn't care too much about it.

"Eldians got 12,54 Gbp of genome though Humans got 6,27 Gbp. Half of the Eldian genes are deactivated and only activated with the TSF protein comes in contact and thus they turn into titans, right?"

"Right,"

"But what if I figure something out about those titan genes and I find out a way to... dispense them. Wouldn't that turn an Eldian into a normal human?"

"It would. But how are you supposed to make that research on Paradis? Our sources tell us that those people are stuck in the Middle Ages, Johannes,"

"Somebody has to do something,"

Johannes. Her father. She never met either of her parents, but they had signed their names on that letter. The only thing they had ever left back to her. So... this was the mission that her father and her mother talked about in that letter. You'll complete that mission for us if we fail. So that's why she was here. She was here to save the Eldian race. Because if she figured out how to eradicate the existence of titans without killing the Eldians, then the world would have no reason to destroy Paradis.