44. Choice For Nation

'What?' A thought registered in my mind but I let the silence envelope the room. I was not the right person to react as such for my motives. As said by Nyrvig, King Surendra was indeed a person who likes balance. To maintain equality between Nyrvig and Skanda, he brought the state of Medinikhand in between.

'I should have killed him before,' I mused but the time was already gone and the union was now set in stone.

Unlike me who was fairly astounded by the sudden words of my brother, Nyrvig was calm, as if he knew this was about to happen. Of course, my father-in-law must have shared this piece of information with him and he didn't think it was important to share it with me.

Glaring at him, I turned to my brother and masking my disappointment with joy, I congratulated him.

"Congratulations brother! Didn't know I would get my sister-in-law so soon," I chirped, the disappointment was nowhere to be heard in my voice.

"I know you are angry Vija," my brother started, "but the decision was made for the safety of Medinikhand. We don't want any wars and seeing the condition of Shakya Pradesh, we have no other option but to take a neutral stance."

Bhrata Aadhirai explained, but the wound of betrayal was too deep to acknowledge the words coherently, yet I nodded with a smile.

"Vijetri understands it brother, " Nyrvig butted in. "We would happily participate in your wedding."

My eyes burned yet I smiled, for I did not want to mess things up. I just have to kill the king to get the thrown, better before the marriage. "For sure we would," I added, a fake joy in my voice. I asked Shailjaa to get some sweets. "But, tell me Bhrata, is this the only reason or you were already entrapped during my wedding?" Mischief laced my tone, lighting up the environment for a bit. 

His ears turned a bit red indicating his reticence while his eyes turned into a playful glare. A giggle escaped my lips while Bhrata Aaditya's lips donned a clear smirk, showing his amusement in our exchange.

We talked for a bit, exchanging words of well being and happiness, but my mind was solely focused on my plan. Our talk was interrupted by a maid of Durgamati, stating that she needed to get my brothers to their respective rooms. I smiled as promised my brothers that I would meet them in the evening, while my mind was wishing to rush back and finish my plan.

As soon as they left, along with Nyrvig who went along with them to ensure proper arrangement for them, I summoned Chanchala and changed into a maid's attire.

Walking by the familiar vacant corridors, I rushed toward the hidden chamber which now I used as a dungeon making sure that I remain unnoticed by the glances of passersby.

Walking inside the dark chamber, I made my gaze steely as if to scare the man and also strengthen myself to look at the half decaying corpse. Chanchala, close behind me, her hands shivering a bit, perhaps due to the ominous memories she made due to the presence.

"A princess should not be doing such tasks, my dear."

I was startled by the sudden familiar voice and I quickly lit the lamps, to light the room. My eyes were wide as I stared at him, relaxing at the faraway stone in the chamber, his eyes stern and the usual mischief absent from it.

He suddenly got up and walked toward me, his every step scaring me to the core about the consequences. I motioned Chanchala to go away, not wishing to involve her in my mess, though I knew she was already very much trapped.

"Your plan to kill the king was great Vijetri, though you failed to implement it at the right moment," He stood near me, his voice normal though I could hear the underlying threat inside his voice.

"Nevertheless, you made my task easier, after all, you only did not wish to kill him," his words made my eyes widen more and a gasp left my lips. I stared at him, shock written over my face.

"You wish to kill your father?" I asked, though he already clarified his ideas before, trying to shake it off as a dream.

"The relation binding us has already soured by his usual attempt to subdue me. Time and again he has believed in his 'equality'," he scoffed at the words and continued, "There are many reasons for me to kill him, another being the sheer amount of corruption in the court and another is getting what is rightfully mine."

"Love for the nation that could severe the bond of blood?" I asked him, confused at what he is suggesting.

"Let me narrate a story to you my Vijaya," he started. "Once there was a princess, Princess Niriksha of Shakya Pradesh."

My breath got hitched at his words as I looked wide-eyed at him for the revelation. Her mother was the princess of Shakya Pradesh, which means his father-

"She fell in love with a General of the army." He continued. "Being the only princess, she was supposed to marry the next king of the kingdom, she chose to marry the General. The General promised her that she would be his only wife in return. Years passed and the love dwindled, the General, now king, forgot his promise and took multiple concubines. Finally, after years, the couple had a son, the much-awaited heir for the king but when the princess, now Queen asked him to name their son the crown prince he outright refused stating that only his most able heir would get the throne. Enraged, the Queen started planning to overthrow the king but sadly, the king got to know about her plans."

"The entire story is so-" I was left speechless.

"Do you know what happened to the queen later?" He questioned and I mumbled, "She died?"

"Correct but the aptest answer would be, she was offered a bowl of poison for death. Her death was celebrated because of a false prophecy the king bribed a seer to do."

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Bhrata- Brother

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hiyos People!

How was the chapter?

Your views on this new twist.

Do make sure to vote and comment.

Meet you in the next update.

Byes!