32. Labyrinth of Musings

The entire day went by rituals yet again and I was reminded several times how unaware of Nyrvig's life I was. The royal family of Shakya Pradesh was a family that always resided in the shadows, hence, hardly much was known about them. Even its members were unknown to the outside world but now, when becoming a part of their family, I was introduced to various members that lurked in the obscurity of the palace.

Comprising numerous branch families, the entire family expanded the total count to fifty, which was much more than the count of Medinikhand. The king himself held a huge harem of over ten women lining up for his service. Having multiple consorts and concubines was nothing new on the land- even Urjit had three consorts and four concubines- but seeing someone of his age holding so many women under him, felt uncanny to me.

Apart from that, thankfully there were hardly any step-brothers or sisters in the life of Nyrvig apart from Yashodhara and her younger brother, Skanda who as far as I got to know is of age eight; the around same age as Ashok. Despite being of the same age, one thing was sure, Skanda didn't share the same relations Ashok had with his siblings. They were living lives that were poles apart.

Being the only woman in the entire harem to bear a son and daughter to the king apart from Nyrvig's mother- the late chief Queen, Niriksha- Durgamati indeed spoke of strength and intelligence that I looked down upon. I could only wonder what vile tricks she must have used to get this possible while the rest of the women have to face the dark alleys of the palace.

Regardless of my disdain towards the woman, I could hardly do much to her in her post of the acting queen in the absence of the chief queen though me getting the accounts book would be a huge blow to her power. This shift of great responsibility to me was not only a way for King Surendra to test me but it would also facilitate the succession of Nyrvig when the time comes.

My result would indicate what side the King would take or perhaps something else- that old guy seems to be much more tangled than the one visible to mere sight. Guessing his line of thoughts was tougher than unfurling the thoughts of Urjit or Nyrvig.

Sighing, I shook my head and stared ahead, the small wisp of smoke coming out of burning coal brought a sense of relaxation to my brooding mind. It managed to escape the clutches of gusty zephyrs and formed a straight line to the chandelier hanging on top of it; creating a mirage of some maiden descending from the light of the lantern hanging amidst the group of lamp stuck together in the chandelier.

While my mind was lurking in the labyrinth of musings, the maids rushed to arrange the room, and the women of the palace were laughing- sharing stories amongst themselves, readying me for the first night together with Nyrvig there. Everyone had something to share, stories that could make any young maiden blush at them; I would have done the same too if it were my first life, in this life, I was anything but a blushing maiden of the palace.

'But your cheeks indeed get dusted with red whenever someone is nearby.' A part of my mind reminded me of a state around obsidian eyes donning a person, making me blush at the thought. 

Maybe considering their stories being the reason for the red on my face, the ladies broke into another round of laughter, making me go red further. If only they knew how brazen my thoughts were.

Just as was about to stray my thoughts somewhere else, acting queen Durgamati entered the room along with several maids holding trays lined up behind her. Every tray had something kept on it, some with assortments, some with fine clothes and others with jewelries. All of the were of most exquisite quality and I can't help but look at Chanchala and Shailaja in confusion at the sudden benevolence from Durgamati's side.

"For long I have been acting like a queen in place of late queen Niriksha but now we have a true candidate of queen among ourselves; Rajkumari Vijetri has indeed just entered the palace but she managed to secure the account book and please Maharaj Surendra. Hence, I have planned to give up my title and post to spend a peaceful old age. Tomorrow itself, we would go to Purohita Daksha and see if the new princess would be apt for the early post." Durgamati announced with a placid face but I could see ghosts of a smirk on her lips.

Discreetly signaling Shailaja to investigate this Purohita, I smiled alongside the women beside me but for some reason, I found it to be superficial, and worry dripped from them.

'They are worried? Why?' I mused while accepting the gift.

 'Who is this purohita?' Another voice questioned, tempting me to scrunch my brows but I managed to keep them straight but my palms twisted around the embroidery of my long skirt that was splayed on the mattress.

Finally, the night was there and one by one, the women started leaving my chamber when Nyrvig entered. He looked tired and there were lines of worry on his face.

"Did you hear?" I arranged the skirt that was now wrinkled due to me strangling it.

"This is a trap." He answered while taking a seat on the swing, his feet swept against the floor and soon the screeching sound resounded in the room along with our bated breaths.

"I know." That was all I answered before announcing my verdict. "Yet I would go. Just tell me who this priestess is?"

"Purohita Daksha is the reason behind my mother's death." He answered before taking a gulp of air and letting the silence prevail.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Maharaj- Emperor

Rajkumari- Princess

Purohita- Priestess

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello Peeps!

How was the update?

What do you think is the story of this purohita?

Meet you in the next chapter

Till then, bye bye