19. First Step

The corridors of the palace were mostly deserted during the night. With dim torches and lamps lighting the corridors, the darkness shrouded most parts of the alley. The only sound that was heard in the silent corridors was the chimes of my anklets and the winds that whispered little secrets to my ears. The guards standing at regular intervals bowed to me while I moved past them before they went back to the task at hand.

My steps stopped as I stood in front of my destination. The King's chamber. I was again feeling nervous. After making the promise, I straight away came to the place, where I could fulfill it. Numerous questions and possibilities were running through my mind and I again felt my hands go clammy. With a deep breath, I addressed the gatekeeper.

"Please inform the king that Rajkumari Vijetri wishes to meet him right now."

Though my back was awkwardly straight with my shoulders tensed, my voice came out smooth. My father had allowed all of us siblings to enter his chambers without permission but this time Rajkumari Vijetri was standing in front of his chambers.

"Pardon me Rajkumari but his Majesty has given his permission to all his offspring to enter the chamber without permission. Even Rajkumar Aadhirai is inside along with Rajkumar Ashok."

The guard spoke with confusion in his voice and fear in his stance. He was probably confused due to my weird actions but I was least bothered about it. 

"I know, but please do as I say."

Irritation laced my voice. I was having a nervous and ominous feeling throughout my body which resulted in my bad mood. The guard seemed reluctant for a moment before doing as I said.

I was shuffling from one foot to another while waiting for the guard to come back. My fingers toiled with one another and my palms were feeling extra clammy. I could hear my heart beating wildly due to the wait and all I wished was to run away from there.

My wait ended about after a minute when the guard returned and informed me about my father's permission to enter.

With slow and wobbly steps, I entered his room and saw him seated on the settee next to Bhrata Aadhirai. My mother was massaging his head with oil and he was having banter with Bhrata Ashok.

My father's room was the largest chamber and was the most breezy one. With an open balcony and an in-room swing, it was the most peaceful place to relish privacy and solitude its walls facilitated. The jingle of my ankles attracted all of them to look towards me and a smile appeared on their faces.

"Vija, dear! Please sit. Why did you ask for permission to enter and how was your visit to the Prime Minister's mansion?"

My father asked in his usual voice that relayed calmness with bliss underlying in its cadence. This part of him, was only reserved for us, the part where he is in ethereal peace, without the care of all the pressing matters of the world. He looked very carefree with no crown adorning his head; perhaps it is the crown that brought about his sense of responsibility. His smile dimmed as he heard no response from me and my stoic face added to the task.

"Pranipaat Maharaj! Pranipaat Maharani!"

I joined my hands and bowed in front of them. The atmosphere of the room grew thick. There was ominous silence prevailing in the room and I saw the fingers of my mother stop. The room was completely still with only five breathing.

"What happened Vija? Are you okay?"

Confusion marred the face of my father. His voice laded worry and his shoulders suddenly became tense. My brother probably caught the wind of what was happening as I saw mirth in his eyes whereas my mother was completely still.