39. Celebration Tangle

It has been quite some days since Nyrvig informed me regarding his father's birthday celebration. From that very moment, there was another quest, the gift to be presented to him.

Unlike what I have thought, despite being the first prince of the state, Nyrvig was provided with very low finances. Must have been his curse to look up to Durgamati to get his expenses, he was forced to make ends meet from the little money he got; his palace was not well maintained and there were scarce servants to tend to his needs.

If not for either Chanchala or Shailaja shutting the windows in the morning, nobody even bothered to enter our room! Thanks to my maids in dowry and the money in it, we were able to fare a fairly comfortable life compared to what Nyrvig prior had to spend.

"Have you even considered a gift for Maharaj?" I chided Nyrvig who was busy looking at some scroll. His lips were pursed and after a moment or so, he shook his head in denial.

"He liked whatever I used to gift him, most of them were lots from wars." He dismissively waved his hand, the previous sentence seemed fickle to him unlike me who gasped in exasperation.

"Wars?" I questioned, my left palm covering my lips as if some secret is uttered from them while my right palm clutched on my silk skirt that had various hibiscus flowers embroidered on them; shimmering underneath the sun, they gave off an ethereal aura to the plain blue colour of the skirt adding onto a sense of regality to it.

"Yes wars, how else do you think I managed to survive in such meagre finances offered to me. It is a pity that this year I was unable to go anywhere to scour for funds." He spoke in a flat tone making me question his sanity.

"You go on wars for funds?" There was a tinge of disgust in my voice; I was astonished at his words but there was nothing I could do about it. Gratefully, before I could any further he cleared his stance.

"Of course not! The borders of Shakya Pradesh are always in turmoil on the Eastern side due to the Garbha alliance and Southern tribes are no better in the case. To maintain peace inside the kingdom, I have no option but to go into wars," he explained, making me realise how little I knew about the kingdom's politics. The only term that I was able to cognise was the Garbha alliance. It was an alliance comprising almost all the small kingdoms of Aryavart including Chaitanyagadh. This alliance mostly dealt with the border security of these small kingdoms; if one would go to war, all of them would contribute.

There was a forlorn expression on his face while explaining to me the reason behind the wars and I couldn't help but be a little tender towards him.

"I am sorr-" "Rajkumari, a maid of the acting Queen is here. Acting Queen Durgamati is summoning you in her quarters."

Shailja's voice was heard from outside the closed doors and I released a sigh though confusion marred my face.

"It must be a meeting to assign tasks for father's birthday." Perhaps due to the frown on my face, Nyrvig informed me about the meeting, though his voice had a hint of fear behind him. I frowned a little but nodded to him nevertheless, and busied myself with getting arranged.

While I was arranging my jewellery and dress, I heard Nyrvig walk out of the chamber giving my maids a chance to help me.  With the help of all, I managed to look presentable and thus I rushed towards the quarters of Rani Durgamati, Chanchala and Shailja guiding me the quarters.

Acting Queen Durgamati's section of the palace was well maintained, unlike the one Nyrvig had, but all it gave was an unsettling ominous feeling the moment I stepped inside it. The area was filled with grandeur and pride and royalty seemed to be engraved in each part of it. I moved towards her chamber, Chanchala and Shailja stopping outside, whereas I walked inside the chamber as soon as I got the permission.

Her room was brimming with grandeur and lush with facilities unlike our room which had scarce maids and the furniture was mostly for show. Designed as such, so that most of the palace was visible from there, Durgamati's chamber was a bit extravagant. I glanced at her, sitting at a settee, surrounded by a few others seated on similar settees whereas others standing behind them.

Smiling at her, I touched the feet of all the familiar elders and greeted all my regards. Most eyes analysed my actions and thus I managed my royal grace without faltering for a bit.

"May God bless you Vijetri!" Durgamati's usual warm through fake voice addressed me and I merely smiled at her. She pointed at a settee near her and asked me to sit. I uncomfortably took my position, glancing at all the standing ladies whose eyes seemed to analyse every tremor of my body like some vulture eyeing their prey.

One thing I was sure about was these ladies undermined me, superficially, I lost to Durgamati once so they have every right to judge me so.

"We all have gathered here to decide our roles in the celebration of Maharaj's birthday." Durgamati started but I zoned out in between because brevity was something she followed and the furniture of her room was much more interesting than her words.

In the far corner of the balcony of her room, there was her swing that swayed along with the winds, creating a soft sound that hardly reached our ears but its whispers were still there.

"Next is Rajkumari Vijetri," I heard my name being called and looked at her, her lips were twisted in a smile, making me shudder a little, "Your job is to get water from our kuldevi's temple present at the border of Bhagwatprasth." She paused a little, a devious glint in her eyes when she added, "Barefoot."

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Maharaj- King

Rani- Queen

Rajkumari- Princess

Kuldevi- Goddess worshipped by the ancestors of the family

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello peeps!

Hope you liked the chapter.

Thoughts on Vijetri's task?

Make sure to vote and comment.

Till then, byes!