10. Cloaked Escapade

"Rajkumari, we must return." The anxious whispers of Chanchala reached my ears. She was scared, I could discern so but my resolve to escape the palace was set. Though it was veiled as a punishment for her, my want to escape it was mostly due to my desire for freedom. Despite being my home since my birth, I felt locked in the towering walls, it was like a cage for me that I so wanted to break. My life felt as if attached to some strings of obscurity and one wrong move could lead to my ultimate demise.

"No," I replied to her, my steps towards the gates of the back palace never stopping, "Remember, this was your punishment Chanchala and I won't be lenient anyhow."

"But Rajkumari, isn't leaving the palace without any notice as such is getting a bit overboard?" She pleaded her case but I hardly paid much mind to it.

It was still early in the morning, the gales of Medinikhand today were a bit moister than yesterday, disseminating the possible heat that we might have to face today. The morning today was languid with hardly any voice of birds chirping present, maybe because, like me, they were appreciating the dark-toned maiden of the sky who had kumkum of the orange-hued sun on her forehead.

"Now, now Chanchala. Are you perchance deciding right and wrong on my behalf?" I questioned, more like mocked her for the consternation she had for my actions. My statement held threat and like always, this put Chanchala in a position where she could only take a tactical approach. and back off.

"Of course not Rajkumari. Pardon this servant for speaking beyond her station." She mumbled and kept on following me.

The back palace was the most secluded part. Covered in grime, the entire area reeked of secrets kept veiled for several generations that one dare not to speak about. Amongst all this, decked in simple cotton attire and covered face- like any other servant- I was walking with only Chanchala keeping my back, hoping to not get caught by any eyes wandering here. 

"Walk fast Chanchala." I chided the poor girl who was fighting a mental battle of her own but I showed no mercy to her. Must be the wounds on her knee from yesterday, that she was walking at a slow pace but I perceived it was the apprehension in her mind that was affecting her more. Regardless, just a word was enough from me enough to get her all riled up and she nodded after rushing to my side.

It was still morning and not many were awake at this hour. Sneakily, together with Chanchala, I marched to the garden of the back palace. If my memory serves right, there must be a hole in the wall of the back palace that directly leads to the city.  Rushing to the wall, it took us almost half an hour to reach the heart of the city. Thankfully, there were hardly any soldiers there so it was easier for us to sneak out.

The capital of Medinikhand, Madhavpuri, was bustling with people. With the subtle odor of sea wafting in the air and the moist climate, an extravaganza of the crowd made the ambiance lively. The streets were in pristine condition, exuberating the might and wealth of Medinikhand that was found all around the place. Covering my face I walked alongside the roads that were decked with stalls and my only guide in the whole city was Chanchala who was indignantly walking ahead of me.

"Rajkumari, is it really alright for me to walk ahead of you?" Chanchala questioned while making way for me through the crowd of pedestrians who were busy bantering with the shopkeepers or chattering amongst themselves. The air of the area contained a thick stench of sweat but it was considerably less than the one present in the arena- one that I have grown used to.

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me by my name her-" Thump

I slipped onto a pebble but quickly grabbed onto a person with similar garbs as mine who was walking just behind me. Thankfully enough, I managed to keep my balance else the ox cart that was just moving beside us would have stumbled on my head leading to my ultimate demise. I sighed in relief before turning to look at the person who was my savior.

 His broad chest pressed on me while he kept me from falling and his dark obsidian orbs bore into my eyes. My heart started beating in fear, 'Does he know my identity?' I suspected seeing him analyze me carefully while his hands rested on my waist, keeping me from moving for even just a bit from his embrace.

"Raj- Vijaya." Chanchala stuttered while rushing by my side. In the spell of those dark obsidian eyes, I was hardly able to make out what she was saying, all I knew was, I was in a compromising position with a man I just bumped onto.

"Are you planning to stay there forever? My hands are kind of aching." The guy finally spoke up. His voice was deep like his irises and held gentleness in them despite his wordings being the exact opposite. I wanted to push him away in rage but for some reason, my heart fluttered and a blush started creeping on my cheeks.

"I-I am sorry." I stuttered while trying to get up which was eventually helped by Chanchala who was beside me.

The person just nodded and started to move away when I hurriedly stopped him. The reason behind it- I knew not but it felt just right to be in his presence. The rays of sun cascaded onto his visage while the breeze threatened to unmask him with its force but a languid light remained in his eyes.

"May I know the name of the person who saved me?" I gathered all my courage to talk to him while fisting my hand.

"It is Nyrvig, Rajkumari." The stranger spoke to me before getting lost in the sea of people.

"Narjkdh Rajkumari?" My eyes were left widened and I stood there for a good amount of time.

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Rajkumari- Princess

Kumkum- Vermillion

❁┈┈┈❅ ⋞〈 ✿ 〉⋟ ❅┈┈┈❁

Hello!

How was the chapter?

Nyrvig is finally here!

What do you think about him?

Also I have started meme area for chapters because the people of server are quite talented with those. Here is today's-

Me: Welcome, fellow idiots 

Vijetri: Hello! Person A

Me: No, no, not you, you're not an idiot 

Vijetri: You underestimate me

You could join the server through the link in my bio!

Till then, happy reading!