Chapter 38: Nandini

"Hi" I clear my throat speaking to him. That sounded awkward then it was supposed to.

"Hi" he says and then tries to sit up on the bed but he was sort of weak, I move a little closer helping me and putting the pillow behind him "thanks"

"It's okay, how do you feel?" I ask him.

"Honestly, I'm a little scared Nandini"

I look at him as he responds, he is scared. I mean why wouldn't he be anyone would be scared of a huge brain surgery like this and the first fear that comes in their mind is death and it is completely understandable.

"It's completely understandable manik, kaafi log surgery se pehle yahi sochte hai ki will they make it back or not, but—"

"No I'm not scared of death" he interrupts me as I furrow my eyebrows "mujhe iss baat ka darr hai that I'll never get my 30 minutes to prove to you"

I was taken back, did he really care about the 30 minutes he was going to have at our date right now?

"Manik these 30 minutes are not important than your life, stop thinking about it will you?"

"Yes it is, because shayad iss 30 minutes ke wajah se I might have a chance with you and that would mean more than my life Nandini." He doesn't break the eye contact not even once sounding confident as he always is.

"Why?" I ask gulping trying to control the unwanted tears.

"I told you, I want everything with you—I want to spend my life with you, I want to get married with you, I want you to have my kids I want everything but most importantly I want you to forgive me and trust me that I never meant for this to happen between us" he manages to get his words across with his weak voice.

I wanted to hug him and tell him that I actually am considering to forgive him so he can peacefully go to the surgery.

"Manik about that I—"

"No please don't say anything, I'd be heartbroken going to the surgery Pata chala brain ke saath saath dil ki bhi surgery karni pade" manik chuckles lightly.

We get interrupted as the door clicks open, one of the nurse walks in. "Sorry to interrupt.." ugh I was just about to tell him something he wanted to hear. "But we need to prepare him for the OR, the doctor said we could do the surgery right away as all his reports are in favour too"

"That's great!" a smile runs over my face as I turn to manik "that will up the chances of recovery!"

Manik gives me a nervous smile and a nod.

"Manik" Everyone else walks in behind the nurse, I move a little away from manik allowing uncle and Cabir to takeover "we are here to see you before the surgery" navya speaks.

"I'll give you guys a couple of minutes then we need to take him okay" the nurse smiles and leaves closing the door behind us

"Thank you guys means a lot" he smiles at all of them after the nurse leaves.

"Waise Tum darna mat manik, sab Kuch theek ho jayega" abhimanyu walks a little closer

"Don't worry I'm not at all scared right Nandini?" He winks at me, before manik used to be serious all the time and now he never stays serious.

All I could do is nod.

"Manik I know you are strong but surgery room mein himaat mat harna" uncle gets emotional.

"Haan dude you better not warna who will I beat in fifa everytime we play on ps4" Cabir speaks

"For the record I always win so yeah that will continue too, and why are you guys saying like that? It's just a surgery aisa nahi ki main marne wala—"